Prove Invariance of Intersection Under T

In summary, the intersection of any collection of subspaces of V invariant under a linear transformation T is invariant under T.
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Suppose T is contained in the set of linear transformations from
V to V. Prove that the intersection of any collection of subspaces of
V invariant under T is invariant under T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose a basis for V. This basis is <v1...vn>.
Two possible subspaces for V are A and B with basis
<v1...vi> for A and <vi-1...vn> for B (2[tex]\leq[/tex]i[tex]\leq[/tex]n)
and we will assume that both are invariant under T.
A basis for the intersection of the bases is <vi-1, vi>.
Because the subspaces A and B are invariant under T, and
vi-1+vi is a linear combination within the span of both invariant subspaces
under T, vi-1+vi is mapped from A to A and from B to B thus it goes
from A and B to A and B, the intersection of both subspaces.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can give the proof without choosing a basis for V, which I personally find more appealing. To do this, recall that a subset A c V is invariant under T whenever T(A) c A.

Now you want to show that [itex]T(A \cap B) \subset A \cap B[/itex]. You can do this by showing that it is simultaneously a subset of both A and B.

Sounds good. Let x[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cap[/tex]B
Distributing T, we get T(A[tex]\cap[/tex]B)=T(A)[tex]\cap[/tex]T(B).
Since x[tex]\in[/tex]A, T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(A) and since x[tex]\in[/tex](B),
T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(B) thus T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(A)[tex]\cap[/tex]T(B)
and since both A and B are invariant under T (thus T(x) x[tex]\in[/tex]A gets mapped to
A and T(x) x[tex]\in[/tex]B gets mapped to B, for T(A) is in A and T(B) is in B for A and B to be invariant), T(x)=cx[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cap[/tex]B.

Last edited:
evilpostingmong said:
Sounds good. Let x[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cap[/tex]B
Good start.

evilpostingmong said:
Distributing T, we get T(A[tex]\cap[/tex]B)=T(A)[tex]\cap[/tex]T(B).
Probably that's true by linearity, although I don't even think you need that in the proof.
Let's call this statement (*).

evilpostingmong said:
Since x[tex]\in[/tex]A, T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(A) and
since x[tex]\in[/tex]B, T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(B) thus
T(x)[tex]\in[/tex]T(A)[tex]\cap[/tex]T(B)
and since both A and B are invariant under T (thus T(x) x[tex]\in[/tex]A gets mapped to
A and T(x) x[tex]\in[/tex]B gets mapped to B, for T(A) is in A and T(B) is in B for A and B to be invariant),
That part is entirely correct (try finding where you actually needed statement (*), because I couldn't :smile:).

evilpostingmong said:
T(x)=cx[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cap[/tex]B.
This may be written down a bit sloppily, with respect to your rigour before. From T(x) being in T(A) you can conclude that it is also in A, and from T(x) being in T(B) it is also in B. So T(x) is in A and B at the same time. QED

Apart from those two minor details, well done!

Thanks compuchip, I need to work on writing more elegant proofs.
Sometimes I need to read my own a few times to get them, lol.

That's ok, luckily this is a classic example of "practice makes perfect".
So just write a lot of them.

And if you read them and it's hard for you to decipher what you meant, you really need to re-write them :)

What is the "Prove Invariance of Intersection Under T"?

The "Prove Invariance of Intersection Under T" is a mathematical concept that states that the intersection of two sets remains unchanged when transformed by a linear transformation T. In other words, if A and B are two sets, then T(A ∩ B) = T(A) ∩ T(B).

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another, while preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication. It can be represented by a matrix and is often used in areas such as geometry, physics, and computer graphics.

How can we prove the invariance of intersection under T?

The invariance of intersection under T can be proven using mathematical induction. The first step is to show that the statement is true for a base case, usually when n = 2. Then, assume that the statement is true for n = k and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n = k + 1.

What are the key properties of linear transformations?

The key properties of linear transformations are: 1) Preservation of addition - T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v), 2) Preservation of scalar multiplication - T(cu) = cT(u), and 3) Preservation of zero vector - T(0) = 0. These properties are essential for proving the invariance of intersection under T.

Why is the invariance of intersection under T important?

The invariance of intersection under T is important because it allows us to apply linear transformations to sets and still preserve their properties. This concept has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, and helps us better understand the relationship between different sets and their transformations.