Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of invertibility

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    I am trying to understand the following basic proposition about invertibility: a linear map is invertible if and only if it is injective and surjective.
    Now suppose ##T## is a linear map ##T:V\rightarrow W##. The book I read goes the following way in proving the proposition in the direction when the surjectivity and injectivity act as the condition. Suppose ##T## is injective and surjective and a vector ##w \in W##. Then define ##Sw## to be the unique element of V such that ##TSw = w##. Therefore ##TS## is an identity transformation in ##W##.
    Now, I understand that ##Sw## is unique because ##T## is injective, but I don't know how the surjectivity contributes to guarantee that ##Sw## which satisfies ##TSw = w## does exist.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##T## being surjective implies that there is a ##v \in V## satisfying ##Tv=w##. That ##v## is ##Sw##.
    If ##T## is not surjective you can't be sure that there will be a ##Sw## satisfying ##TSw = w##.

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3
    Sorry I am not getting your explanation. If ##T## is surjective then ##\textrm{range}(T) = W##, isn't it. How can this information be used to conclude that there is ##v## in the domain space ##V## which satisfies ##Tv=w##, while the surjectivity of ##T## concerns the range space ##W## not the domain space ##V##?

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct, surjectivity means ##T(V)=W##, that every element of ##W## lies in the range of ##T##.

That means that for every ##w \in W## there is a ##v \in V## satisfying ##Tv=w##.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. Feb 6, 2016 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Surjective" says that "for any w in W, there exist at least one v in V such that T(v)= w. "Injective says that there is not more than one such v. If T is both "surjective" and "injective" then there exist exactly one such v and that is, by definition, T-1(w).

7. Feb 6, 2016 #6
    Hi HallsofIvy, thank you.
    My background is actually physics and I am just near the beginning of thinking in an abstract manner. In this state of mine, rearrangement and choice of words to translate abstract mathematical line of reasoning really helps me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook