Proof of Invertibility: Linear Map's Surjectivity and Injectivity Condition

In summary: So, I will try to summarize your question and your answer. In summary, you are asking how surjectivity affects the existence of a solution to a certain equation. Surjectivity says that for any w in the domain space, there exists a v in the range space such that T(v)=w. Therefore, by definition, if T is both surjective and injective, then there exists exactly one solution to the equation in the domain space.
maNoFchangE
I am trying to understand the following basic proposition about invertibility: a linear map is invertible if and only if it is injective and surjective.
Now suppose ##T## is a linear map ##T:V\rightarrow W##. The book I read goes the following way in proving the proposition in the direction when the surjectivity and injectivity act as the condition. Suppose ##T## is injective and surjective and a vector ##w \in W##. Then define ##Sw## to be the unique element of V such that ##TSw = w##. Therefore ##TS## is an identity transformation in ##W##.
Now, I understand that ##Sw## is unique because ##T## is injective, but I don't know how the surjectivity contributes to guarantee that ##Sw## which satisfies ##TSw = w## does exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
maNoFchangE said:
I am trying to understand the following basic proposition about invertibility: a linear map is invertible if and only if it is injective and surjective.
Now suppose ##T## is a linear map ##T:V\rightarrow W##. The book I read goes the following way in proving the proposition in the direction when the surjectivity and injectivity act as the condition. Suppose ##T## is injective and surjective and a vector ##w \in W##. Then define ##Sw## to be the unique element of V such that ##TSw = w##. Therefore ##TS## is an identity transformation in ##W##.
Now, I understand that ##Sw## is unique because ##T## is injective, but I don't know how the surjectivity contributes to guarantee that ##Sw## which satisfies ##TSw = w## does exist.
##T## being surjective implies that there is a ##v \in V## satisfying ##Tv=w##. That ##v## is ##Sw##.
If ##T## is not surjective you can't be sure that there will be a ##Sw## satisfying ##TSw = w##.

Sorry I am not getting your explanation. If ##T## is surjective then ##\textrm{range}(T) = W##, isn't it. How can this information be used to conclude that there is ##v## in the domain space ##V## which satisfies ##Tv=w##, while the surjectivity of ##T## concerns the range space ##W## not the domain space ##V##?

maNoFchangE said:
Sorry I am not getting your explanation. If ##T## is surjective then ##\textrm{range}(T) = W##, isn't it. How can this information be used to conclude that there is ##v## in the domain space ##V## which satisfies ##Tv=w##, while the surjectivity of ##T## concerns the range space ##W## not the domain space ##V##?
Correct, surjectivity means ##T(V)=W##, that every element of ##W## lies in the range of ##T##.

That means that for every ##w \in W## there is a ##v \in V## satisfying ##Tv=w##.

Last edited:
Likes maNoFchangE
"Surjective" says that "for any w in W, there exist at least one v in V such that T(v)= w. "Injective says that there is not more than one such v. If T is both "surjective" and "injective" then there exist exactly one such v and that is, by definition, T-1(w).

Likes maNoFchangE
HallsofIvy said:
"Surjective" says that "for any w in W, there exist at least one v in V such that T(v)= w. "Injective says that there is not more than one such v. If T is both "surjective" and "injective" then there exist exactly one such v and that is, by definition, T-1(w).
Hi HallsofIvy, thank you.
My background is actually physics and I am just near the beginning of thinking in an abstract manner. In this state of mine, rearrangement and choice of words to translate abstract mathematical line of reasoning really helps me.

What is "Proof of Invertibility: Linear Map's Surjectivity and Injectivity Condition"?

"Proof of Invertibility: Linear Map's Surjectivity and Injectivity Condition" is a mathematical concept that helps to determine whether a linear map is invertible. This proof involves showing that the linear map is both surjective (onto) and injective (one-to-one).

Why is it important to prove the surjectivity and injectivity condition for linear maps?

Proving the surjectivity and injectivity condition for linear maps is important because it allows us to determine whether the linear map is invertible. Invertible linear maps have many useful properties and can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems.

What is the difference between surjectivity and injectivity?

Surjectivity and injectivity are two different properties of a function. A function is said to be surjective if every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. A function is injective if each element in the range of the function is mapped to by at most one element in the domain.

How can we prove the surjectivity and injectivity condition for a linear map?

To prove the surjectivity and injectivity condition for a linear map, we can use the definitions of surjectivity and injectivity and apply them to the specific linear map. This may involve using algebraic manipulations or logical arguments to show that the linear map satisfies both properties.

Are there any applications of the surjectivity and injectivity condition for linear maps?

Yes, the surjectivity and injectivity condition for linear maps has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the behavior of linear systems, and prove important theorems in linear algebra.