Prove Isometry: Exists Orthonormal Basis V w/ \|Se_j\|=1

In summary: You only have to find one. And, remember, a finite dimensional vector space is not the only possible example.In summary, the conversation is about proving or giving a counterexample for a statement involving a linear transformation and an orthonormal basis. The conversation also touches on the properties of normality and eigenvalues. The solution involves using the given property of the linear transformation to show that it is normal, and from there it is easy to prove the statement. However, it is also suggested to take some time to look for a counterexample instead of just focusing on proving the statement.
CrazyIvan

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counterexample: if [tex]\mathcal{S} \in \mathcal{L} \left( V \right) [/tex] and there exists and orthonormal basis [tex]\left( e_{1} , \ldots , e_{n} \right)[/tex] of [tex]V[/tex] such that [tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} e_{j} \right\| = 1 [/tex] for each [tex]e_{j}[/tex], then [tex]\mathcal{S}[/tex] is an isometry.

Homework Equations

[tex] \mathcal{S} [/tex] is an isometry if
[tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} v \right\| = \left\| v \right\| [/tex]
for all [tex]v \in V[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that if I can prove that [tex]\mathcal{S}[/tex] is normal, then I can use the Spectral Theorem to prove that all every basis vector is an eigenvector.

Then I can prove that the square of the absolute value of the eigenvalue for each eigenvector equals 1, and the proof comes easy after that.

But I'm getting hung up on proving if it is normal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need eigenvalues. Write v in terms of the basis: [itex]\vec{v}= a_1\vec{e_1}+ a_2\vec{e_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n\vec{e_n}[/itex]. What is its length? What is Lv? What is its length?

You say [tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} e_{j} \right\| = 1 [/tex]. I would have interpreted [tex]\mathcal{S} \in \mathcal{L} \left( V \right) [/tex] to mean "linear transformations from V to itself". Do you mean the dual space of V: linear transformations from V to R?

HallsofIvy said:
You don't need eigenvalues. Write v in terms of the basis: [itex]\vec{v}= a_1\vec{e_1}+ a_2\vec{e_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n\vec{e_n}[/itex]. What is its length? What is Lv? What is its length?

You say [tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} e_{j} \right\| = 1 [/tex]. I would have interpreted [tex]\mathcal{S} \in \mathcal{L} \left( V \right) [/tex] to mean "linear transformations from V to itself". Do you mean the dual space of V: linear transformations from V to R?

Sorry for my lack of clarity. [tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} e_{j} \right\| = 1 [/tex] is a given property of the linear transformation [tex] \mathcal{S} [/tex]. So the only thing I know about [tex] \mathcal{S} [/tex] is that it's a linear transformation and it doesn't change the length of the orthonormal basis vectors.

I think I have a solution, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing you were saying:

[tex] \left\| S e_{i} \right\| = \left\| e_{i} \right\| [/tex]
[tex]\left\langle S e_{i} , S e_{i} \right\rangle = \left\langle e_{i} , e_{i}
\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex] \left\langle e_{i} , S^{*} S e_{i} \right\rangle = \left\langle e_{i} , e_{i} \right\rangle [/tex]
[tex] \left\langle e_{i} , S^{*} S e_{i} - e_{i} \right\rangle = 0 [/tex]
So since [tex] e_{i} [/tex] is not the zero vector,
[tex]S^{*} S e_{i} - e_{i} = 0 \ \Leftrightarrow S^{*} S e_{i} = e_{i} [/tex]
And from there, it's easy.

Does that look right?

CrazyIvan said:
Sorry for my lack of clarity. [tex]\left\| \mathcal{S} e_{j} \right\| = 1 [/tex] is a given property of the linear transformation [tex] \mathcal{S} [/tex]. So the only thing I know about [tex] \mathcal{S} [/tex] is that it's a linear transformation and it doesn't change the length of the orthonormal basis vectors.

I think I have a solution, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing you were saying:

[tex] \left\| S e_{i} \right\| = \left\| e_{i} \right\| [/tex]
[tex]\left\langle S e_{i} , S e_{i} \right\rangle = \left\langle e_{i} , e_{i}
\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex] \left\langle e_{i} , S^{*} S e_{i} \right\rangle = \left\langle e_{i} , e_{i} \right\rangle [/tex]
[tex] \left\langle e_{i} , S^{*} S e_{i} - e_{i} \right\rangle = 0 [/tex]
So since [tex] e_{i} [/tex] is not the zero vector,
[tex]S^{*} S e_{i} - e_{i} = 0 \ \Leftrightarrow S^{*} S e_{i} = e_{i} [/tex]
And from there, it's easy.

Does that look right?

That doesn't prove (S*)S(e_i)-e_i=0. It just shows (S*)S(e_i)-e_i is orthogonal to e_i. I would suggest you take some time out from trying to prove it and put a little more energy into looking for a counterexample.

1. What is an isometry?

An isometry is a transformation or mapping that preserves distances between points in a geometric space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that maintains the shape and size of an object.

2. What is an orthonormal basis?

An orthonormal basis is a set of vectors in a vector space that are all mutually perpendicular (orthogonal) to each other and have a length of 1 (normalized). This means that they form a coordinate system that is perpendicular and has a unit length in each direction.

3. How do you prove the existence of an orthonormal basis?

To prove the existence of an orthonormal basis, we need to show that there exists a set of vectors that satisfy the properties of being orthogonal and normalized. This can be done through various methods such as Gram-Schmidt process or using linear algebra techniques.

4. Why is it important to have an orthonormal basis?

Having an orthonormal basis allows us to simplify calculations and make them more efficient. It also helps us understand the geometric properties of a vector space and makes it easier to visualize and manipulate vectors.

5. How does the condition \|Se_j\|=1 relate to proving isometry?

The condition \|Se_j\|=1 is a way to ensure that the vectors in our orthonormal basis are normalized. This is important in proving isometry because if the basis vectors are not normalized, the mapping may not preserve distances and therefore would not be considered an isometry.