1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of limit by definition

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the limit as x -> 0 of (sin^2(x))/(x^2)

2. Relevant equations

limit as x -> xo (fx) = L iff for every epsilon (>0) there exists a delta (>0) st if
    | x - xo | < delta then |f(x) - L | < epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution

Let epsilon be positive. I believe the limit equals one, so I will proceed there.
    then

| (sin^2(x))/x^2 - 1| < epsion if | x | < delta

But | f(x) - 1| <= |1/x^2 - 1| . And this is where I get stuck. If I pick delta to be small, and |x| < delta,
    | (f(x)) - 1 | becomes very large, and thus is not being bound by any epsilon.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|f(x)-1| does NOT become very large as x->0. Did you experiment with some numbers, like x=0.01,x=0.0001, etc? Do you know anything about the limit of sin(x)/x as x->0?

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    You are right, I meant to say that

|1/x^2 - 1| becomes large as x -> 0, which confused me, because

| f(x) - 1| <= |1/x^2 - 1|, which i get because | sin^2(x) | <= 1, so then | sin^2(x)/x^2 - 1 | <= |1/x^2 - 1 |

The limit of sin(x)/x equals 1 when x approaches 0. Are you suggesting that I use the fact that
    sin(x)/x has limit 1 at x = 0 and the theorem that if lim f exists and equals L1 at some point xo and lim g exists at the same xo and equals L2, then lim f*g = L1*L2, which then I could use to lim sin^2(x)/x^2 =
    lim (sin(x)/x)*(sin(x)/x) = 1 * 1 = 1. Yes, but then I need to prove that lim sin(x)/x equals 1. How would I do this by epsilon-delta definition of limits ( I know how to with squeeze theorem)? I would basically be stuck in the same mess I have above.

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|sin(x)^2/x^2-1|<=|1/x^2-1| is just not a very good estimate of |f(x)-1|. How do you prove sin(x)/x=1 using the squeeze theorem? You should be able to express that logic in epsilon-delta form. You might also notice |f(x)-1|=|sin(x)/x-1|*|sin(x)/x+1|.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    | cos(x) | <= | (sin x)/x | <= | 1 |
    Is how I would use the squeeze theorem to solve this one. But then I have no idea how to get from there to a delta, or reduction of | (sin x)/x | to | x | from which I can pull a delta. I have been searching the web for a few hours and have found 0 proofs that (sin x)/x has limit equal to 1. There was a place that had it listed as an exercise of finding deltas, but gave no explanation of how to find one. So I remain stuck.

One other idea I had is
    | sin(x)/x | <= | sin(x) | <= | x |

Then you get stuck by the triangle inequality trying to bring back (sin x)/x - 1, the closest I got is:
    | sin(x)/x - 1 + 1 | <= | sin(x)/x - 1 + 1 | <= | x - 1 + 1 |

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I'm better at searching the web than you are. I found this:

Multiply 1-cos(x) by (1+cos(x))/(1+cos(x)) and get (1-cos(x)^2)/(1+cos(x))=sin(x)^2/(1+cos(x))<=sin(x)^2 (for small x). You also have sin(x)<=x. So put it all together and get 1-cos(x)<=x^2. So:

1-x^2<=sin(x)/x<=1. Does that look like a form you can use?

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7

Oh, I never said I was good at searching the web, only that I had done it for a while...

Anyways, I like where you went with this. Basically:

|sin x| < |x| . This implies that |(sin x)/x| < |x/x| = 1.

On the other hand, if x is in the open interval (0,pi/2) then | x | < | tan x |, so we get that

| x/sin(x) | < | (tan x) / (sin x) | = | 1/(cos x) |. Then you reciprocate the rationals over the inequality to get that:

| cos x | < | (sin x) / x|. Then you put the two of these together to get:

| cox x | < | (sin x) / x| < 1. (1)

Now for the next bit, we will need again that (sin anynumber) < anynumber, and the famous identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, and then we can use your trick:
    (1- cos x) * (1 + cos x)/(1 + cos x) = (1 - (cos x)^2)/(1+ cos x) = ((sin x)^2)/(1+ cos x) <= (sin x)^2
    But because (sin x) < x, we get that (1 - cos x) < (x)^2. Then:
    - cos x < x^2 -1 (2) , and further
    cos x > 1 - x^2. Now because we have limited x to the open interval (0,pi/2), and from the inequalities (1) and (2)

1 - x^2 < (sin x)/x < 1 , and now the big one
    - x^2 < (sin x)/x - 1 <0 (3)and zero is obviously less than epsilon (which is chosen positive). However, this is not complete, the above will not hold on all intervals, particularly the above holds when x is in (0,pi/2) in other words | x | < pi/2. Notice that,
    (sin x) / x - 1 < x^2
    And so if delta equals sqrt(epsilon) we get that if | x | < delta
    then (sin x) / x - 1 < x^2 < epsilon
    We need to pick delta to be the min of pi/2 and sqrt(epsilon).

9. Oct 26, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think that does it. You shouldn't have any troubles extending that to get the delta for sin(x)^2/x^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?