Proof of Limit by Definition for (sin^2(x))/(x^2) as x Approaches 0

In summary, the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1, which can be proven using the squeeze theorem and the properties of trigonometric functions. Using the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, we can create an appropriate estimate for the limit and then use the epsilon-delta definition of limits to prove it. By choosing delta to be the minimum of pi/2 and the square root of epsilon, we can show that the limit of sin^2(x)/x^2 as x approaches 0 is also equal to 1.
icantadd

Homework Statement

find the limit as x -> 0 of (sin^2(x))/(x^2)

Homework Equations

limit as x -> xo (fx) = L iff for every epsilon (>0) there exists a delta (>0) st if
| x - xo | < delta then |f(x) - L | < epsilon

The Attempt at a Solution

Let epsilon be positive. I believe the limit equals one, so I will proceed there.
then

| (sin^2(x))/x^2 - 1| < epsion if | x | < delta

But | f(x) - 1| <= |1/x^2 - 1| . And this is where I get stuck. If I pick delta to be small, and |x| < delta,
| (f(x)) - 1 | becomes very large, and thus is not being bound by any epsilon.

Physics news on Phys.org
|f(x)-1| does NOT become very large as x->0. Did you experiment with some numbers, like x=0.01,x=0.0001, etc? Do you know anything about the limit of sin(x)/x as x->0?

Dick said:
|f(x)-1| does NOT become very large as x->0. Did you experiment with some numbers, like x=0.01,x=0.0001, etc? Do you know anything about the limit of sin(x)/x as x->0?

You are right, I meant to say that

|1/x^2 - 1| becomes large as x -> 0, which confused me, because

| f(x) - 1| <= |1/x^2 - 1|, which i get because | sin^2(x) | <= 1, so then | sin^2(x)/x^2 - 1 | <= |1/x^2 - 1 |

The limit of sin(x)/x equals 1 when x approaches 0. Are you suggesting that I use the fact that
sin(x)/x has limit 1 at x = 0 and the theorem that if lim f exists and equals L1 at some point xo and lim g exists at the same xo and equals L2, then lim f*g = L1*L2, which then I could use to lim sin^2(x)/x^2 =
lim (sin(x)/x)*(sin(x)/x) = 1 * 1 = 1. Yes, but then I need to prove that lim sin(x)/x equals 1. How would I do this by epsilon-delta definition of limits ( I know how to with squeeze theorem)? I would basically be stuck in the same mess I have above.

|sin(x)^2/x^2-1|<=|1/x^2-1| is just not a very good estimate of |f(x)-1|. How do you prove sin(x)/x=1 using the squeeze theorem? You should be able to express that logic in epsilon-delta form. You might also notice |f(x)-1|=|sin(x)/x-1|*|sin(x)/x+1|.

| cos(x) | <= | (sin x)/x | <= | 1 |
Is how I would use the squeeze theorem to solve this one. But then I have no idea how to get from there to a delta, or reduction of | (sin x)/x | to | x | from which I can pull a delta. I have been searching the web for a few hours and have found 0 proofs that (sin x)/x has limit equal to 1. There was a place that had it listed as an exercise of finding deltas, but gave no explanation of how to find one. So I remain stuck.

One other idea I had is
| sin(x)/x | <= | sin(x) | <= | x |

Then you get stuck by the triangle inequality trying to bring back (sin x)/x - 1, the closest I got is:
| sin(x)/x - 1 + 1 | <= | sin(x)/x - 1 + 1 | <= | x - 1 + 1 |

I think I'm better at searching the web than you are. I found this:

Multiply 1-cos(x) by (1+cos(x))/(1+cos(x)) and get (1-cos(x)^2)/(1+cos(x))=sin(x)^2/(1+cos(x))<=sin(x)^2 (for small x). You also have sin(x)<=x. So put it all together and get 1-cos(x)<=x^2. So:

1-x^2<=sin(x)/x<=1. Does that look like a form you can use?

Dick said:
I think I'm better at searching the web than you are. I found this:

Multiply 1-cos(x) by (1+cos(x))/(1+cos(x)) and get (1-cos(x)^2)/(1+cos(x))=sin(x)^2/(1+cos(x))<=sin(x)^2 (for small x). You also have sin(x)<=x. So put it all together and get 1-cos(x)<=x^2. So:

1-x^2<=sin(x)/x<=1. Does that look like a form you can use?

Oh, I never said I was good at searching the web, only that I had done it for a while...

Anyways, I like where you went with this. Basically:

|sin x| < |x| . This implies that |(sin x)/x| < |x/x| = 1.

On the other hand, if x is in the open interval (0,pi/2) then | x | < | tan x |, so we get that

| x/sin(x) | < | (tan x) / (sin x) | = | 1/(cos x) |. Then you reciprocate the rationals over the inequality to get that:

| cos x | < | (sin x) / x|. Then you put the two of these together to get:

| cox x | < | (sin x) / x| < 1. (1)

Now for the next bit, we will need again that (sin anynumber) < anynumber, and the famous identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, and then we can use your trick:
(1- cos x) * (1 + cos x)/(1 + cos x) = (1 - (cos x)^2)/(1+ cos x) = ((sin x)^2)/(1+ cos x) <= (sin x)^2
But because (sin x) < x, we get that (1 - cos x) < (x)^2. Then:
- cos x < x^2 -1 (2) , and further
cos x > 1 - x^2. Now because we have limited x to the open interval (0,pi/2), and from the inequalities (1) and (2)

1 - x^2 < (sin x)/x < 1 , and now the big one
- x^2 < (sin x)/x - 1 <0 (3)and zero is obviously less than epsilon (which is chosen positive). However, this is not complete, the above will not hold on all intervals, particularly the above holds when x is in (0,pi/2) in other words | x | < pi/2. Notice that,
(sin x) / x - 1 < x^2
And so if delta equals sqrt(epsilon) we get that if | x | < delta
then (sin x) / x - 1 < x^2 < epsilon
We need to pick delta to be the min of pi/2 and sqrt(epsilon).

Yes, I think that does it. You shouldn't have any troubles extending that to get the delta for sin(x)^2/x^2.

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

The definition of a limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is denoted as "lim f(x) as x approaches a" and is found by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to a.

2. How is the limit by definition different from the limit by graphical or algebraic methods?

The limit by definition involves evaluating a function at values approaching a specific value, whereas the limit by graphical or algebraic methods involves using graphs or algebraic methods to determine the value of the limit.

3. Why is it important to understand the proof of limit by definition?

Understanding the proof of limit by definition is important because it allows us to have a deeper understanding of how limits work and how they are calculated. It also serves as a foundation for more complex concepts in calculus.

4. What are the steps involved in proving a limit by definition?

The steps involved in proving a limit by definition are: 1) Identify the limit to be proven, 2) Choose a value close to the limit value, 3) Determine the corresponding output value for the chosen input value, 4) Use the definition of a limit to show that the output value approaches the limit value as the input value approaches the chosen value.

5. Can the limit by definition be used for all functions?

Yes, the limit by definition can be used for all functions, as long as they are continuous at the limit point. If a function is not continuous at the limit point, a different approach may be needed to determine the limit.