Proving the Limit of n! / n^n = 0: A Guide to Using Sequence Definition

In summary, the sequence converges monotonically (where n only takes on integral values) and the function also converges (assuming there's some rule that says you can do that).
courtrigrad
how would you prove

lim (n! / n^n) = 0
n--> 00

Should I use the definition of a sequence? like n! < what

n^n is less than what? and find limit of this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry...I'm kind of rusty with this stuff, so I can't offer anything that would constitute a proof, but at first glance, I noticed the following:

[tex] n^n = n \cdot n \cdot n \cdot n...n \cdot n \cdot n [/tex]
'n' times

WHEREAS

[tex] n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1 [/tex].

Clearly, the first product is larger than the second, and in the limit as n approaches infinity, the difference between them will be on the order of infinity as well, so if the denominator is infinitely larger than the numerator...

I realize this doesn't help answer the question. Also, I've heard that it is not correct to think of a power such as [itex] x^n [/tex] as 'n' x's multiplied together, but I cannot remember why. Can someone clarify?

Last edited:
I don't think that's right

Maybe you can split the fraction into the product two parts... one that goes to zero, and one that's bounded...

Just a rough guess:

Use the ratio test to show that the sequence converges (where n only takes on integral values) and then use that to show that the function converges (assuming there some sort of rule that says you can do that).

You could show that the sequence is monotonically decreasing.
i.e. show that:
[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1)^{n+1}}<\frac{n!}{n^n}[/tex]
Together with the fact that the sequence is bounded below...

The simplest way is to look at the sequence using even integers (n=2m):
Then:
[tex]n!\leq(\frac{n}{2})^{\frac{n}{2}}n^{\frac{n}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]n^{n}=n^{\frac{n}{2}}n^{\frac{n}{2}}[/tex]
Hence, your ratio is bounded by:
[tex]\frac{n!}{n^{n}}\leq(\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{n}{2}}[/tex]

This is, of course, along the lines Hurkyl indicated.

Last edited:
ok thanks a lot everyone. Thats what the book wanted me to do.

1. What is the purpose of proving the limit of n! / n^n = 0?

The purpose of proving this limit is to understand the behavior of the sequence n! / n^n as n approaches infinity. It helps us determine the overall trend of the sequence and whether it approaches a specific value or diverges.

2. What is the sequence definition used in this proof?

The sequence definition used in this proof is the limit definition, which states that a limit L is the value that a sequence approaches as the input approaches infinity. In mathematical notation, it can be written as:
limn → ∞ an = L

3. How do you show that the limit of n! / n^n is equal to 0?

To show that the limit of n! / n^n is equal to 0, we need to use the squeeze theorem. This involves finding two other sequences, an and bn, where an is less than or equal to n! / n^n and bn is greater than or equal to 0. Then, we can show that both an and bn approach 0 as n approaches infinity, and therefore, n! / n^n also approaches 0.

4. What are the key steps in proving this limit?

The key steps in proving this limit are:
1. Rewrite the limit using the sequence definition.
2. Use algebraic manipulations to simplify the sequence.
3. Find a lower and upper bound for the sequence using the squeeze theorem.
4. Show that both the lower and upper bounds approach 0 as n approaches infinity.
5. Conclude that the original sequence also approaches 0 as n approaches infinity.

5. Can this limit be proven using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this limit, such as the ratio test or the root test. However, using the sequence definition and the squeeze theorem is often the most straightforward and efficient method for proving limits involving sequences.