Proof of Limit: Solving for the Limit of a Sequence with Proof Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving limits and the use of the binomial expansion to simplify the series. The problem is broken down into two parts: proving a given limit and finding three numbers for a given inequality. The conversation also mentions the use of L'Hopital's rule and rationalizing the numerator to solve the problem. Ultimately, the conversation provides helpful hints and guidance to solve the problem.
courtrigrad
Hello all

I need help with the following problems:

Prove that [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt n)(\sqrt {n+ \frac {1}{2}}) = \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

I know that [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt n) = 0 [/tex]. Then why wouldn't the limit be 0?

Also another question (I posted this in another thread, but it died :tongue2:)

[tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n [/tex] find three numbers [tex] N_1 , N_2, N_3 [/tex] such that

[tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{10} [/tex] for every [tex] n > N_1 [/tex]
[tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{100} [/tex] for every [tex] n > N_2 [/tex]
[tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{1000} [/tex] for every [tex] n > N_3 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Reexpress [tex]\sqrt{n + a}[/tex] as [tex]\sqrt{n}\sqrt{1 + \frac{a}{n}[/tex] and use the general binomial expansion to simplify the series. You only need the first order approximation.

That is,

[tex]\sqrt{1 + \frac{a}{n}} \approx \left(1 + (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{a}{n})\right)[/tex]

For the first part the a-values are 1 and [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Simplify the algebra, and you'll find the limit.

For the second part use the simplified expression found in the first part for the expression. You should be able to find a simple inequality in each case and solve accordingly. Post if you need further hints.

Last edited:
Then why wouldn't the limit be 0?

Because sqrt(n + 1/2) isn't bounded.

Surely 1/n tends to 0 as n tends to infinity. But what's the limit of n * 1/n?

ok so for the first part, the simplified expression I got was:

[tex] \sqrt n (\sqrt{1 + \frac {1}{n}} - \sqrt n)\sqrt n ( \sqrt{1+ \frac {1}{2n}) [/tex]

So [tex] (\sqrt{n+1} - n)( \sqrt {n + \frac {1}{2}) [/tex]

and this equals [tex] \frac {1}{2} [/tex] ?

hmm.. it looks like i went in circles

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:

[tex] \sqrt n (\sqrt{1 + \frac {1}{n}} - \sqrt n)\sqrt n ( \sqrt{1+ \frac {1}{2n}) [/tex]

So [tex] (\sqrt{n+1} - n)( \sqrt {n + \frac {1}{2}) [/tex]

and this equals [tex] \frac {1}{2} [/tex] ?

hmm.. it looks like i went in circles

Have you tried using the binomial expansion and simplifying as I advised ?

do you mean [tex] \sqrt n (\sqrt{1 + \frac {1}{n}} - \sqrt n)\sqrt n ( \sqrt{1+ \frac {1}{2n}))^n [/tex] ?

NOTE: This is in the beginning of the book. I haven't learned about series expansions yet

Thanks

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:

I think there's a mistake here. I think it should be:

[tex] \sqrt n (\sqrt{1 + \frac {1}{n}} - 1)\sqrt n ( \sqrt{1+ \frac {1}{2n})[/tex]

I rewrite as:
[tex] \frac{(\sqrt{1 + \frac {1}{n}} - 1) ( \sqrt{1+ \frac {1}{2n}})}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

Substitue x=1/n. So x->0 for the limit.

Then you can use L'Hopital's rule (since numerator and denominator go to zero), if you've covered that.

thanks for the help. but how would you use the binomail expansion? Thats what's confusing me

Thanks

courtrigrad said:
thanks for the help. but how would you use the binomail expansion? Thats what's confusing me

Thanks

Have a look at my previous post. Do you know l'Hopital's rule? I personally find this easier, as I tend to make mistakes when substituting the binomial expansion.

But you can also use binomial expansion:

[tex]\sqrt {1+x} = {(1+x)}^{(1/2)}= 1 + (1/2)x + [(1/2)((1/2) - 1)/2!]x^2 + ...[/tex]

Under the first square root x=1/n, under the second x=1/(2n).

Thanks a bunch

ok so now that i have the binomial expansion, how would i simplify it?
Would I use [tex]\sqrt{1 + \frac{a}{n}} \approx \left(1 + (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{a}{n})\right)[/tex] which when we substitute equals:

[tex] (1 + \frac{1}{2n})(1 + \frac{1}{4n}) = (1 + \frac{1}{4n} + \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{1}{8n^2})(\sqrt n) [/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
If you don't know the "binomial expansion", you shouldn't be trying to use it for this problem!

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt n)(\sqrt {n+ \frac {1}{2}}) = \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

There's nothing wrong with going ahead and multiplying those:
[tex]\sqrt{(n+1)(n+\frac{1}{2}}-\sqrt{n(n+\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{3}{2}n+ \frac{1}{2}}-\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{1}{2}n}[/tex]

Now do the usual "trick" of rationalizing the numerator: multiply both numerator and denominator (which is 1) by
[tex]\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{3}{2}n+ \frac{1}{2}}+\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{1}{2}n}[/tex]
That gives
[tex]\frac{n+ \frac{1}{2}}{\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{3}{2}n+ \frac{1}{2}}+\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{1}{2}n}}[/tex]

Finally divide both numerator and denominator by n (which becomes n2 inside the square roots) and take the limit as n goes to infinity.

For the second question, just go ahead and solve the equations!

Find N1 such that [tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{10} [/tex]
for all n> N1.

Well, to pass from "<1/10" to ">1/10" it has to be "= 1/10". When is
[tex] a_n = \sqrt {n+1} - \sqrt n = \frac {1}{10} ?[/tex]

Write this as [itex]\sqrt{n+1}= \sqrt{n}+ \frac{1}{10}[/itex] and square both sides:

[itex]n+ 1= n+ \frac{2\sqrt{n}}{10}+ \frac{1}{100}[/itex].
Rewrite as [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{n}}{10}= 1- \frac{1}{100}= \frac{99}{100}[/itex] and square again: [itex]\frac{4n}{100}= \frac{9801}{10000}[/itex] so
[itex]n= \frac{9801}{400}= 24.5[/itex] (approx.). Since n has to be an integer, n must be larger than 24: N1= 24.

Do the same for the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your very helpful response HallsofIvy. Also I want to thank everyone that took the time to help me with this problem.

just had a quick question"

for [tex]\frac{n+ \frac{1}{2}}{\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{3}{2}n+ \frac{1}{2}}+\sqrt{n^2+ \frac{1}{2}n}}[/tex] how do we get the denominator after we divide by n?

Thanks
EDIT: Nevermind I got it. You divide by n^2 because of the square root sign

Last edited:

1. What is a "limit" in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics represents the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence as it gets closer and closer to a specific point or value.

2. How do you solve for the limit of a sequence?

To solve for the limit of a sequence, you can use various proof techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition, the Squeeze theorem, or the Monotone Convergence theorem. These techniques involve manipulating the terms of the sequence and using logical reasoning to determine the limit.

3. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a mathematical method for proving the limit of a function or sequence. It states that for any epsilon (ε) greater than 0, there exists a delta (δ) greater than 0, such that if the distance between the input or index and the limit is less than delta, then the distance between the output or term of the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon.

4. How is the Squeeze theorem used to solve for limits?

The Squeeze theorem, also known as the Sandwich theorem, is a proof technique that uses the properties of inequalities to determine the limit of a function or sequence. It states that if two functions or sequences are "squeezing" a third function or sequence between them and their limits are equal, then the limit of the squeezed function or sequence is also equal to the limit of the two "squeezing" functions or sequences.

5. Why is proving the limit of a sequence important?

Proving the limit of a sequence is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function or sequence as it approaches a specific value, and it helps us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the function or sequence. It also helps to validate the results obtained through other mathematical and scientific methods.