1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of n/7, n=1,2,3,4,5,6

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    Hi there,

There was an interesting problem proposed to me by some office mates a couple of days ago: "Prove that n/7, where n= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, is a repeating decimal where the digits repeat in a cyclical manner." I presented a more general proof of any fraction where the base is not 2^x*5^y will be repeating and non-terminating. However, the proof presented did not satisfy their cyclical requirement. Any suggestions on explaining to them that my proof is satisfactory or what should I add to a proof that would show the cyclical nature of all repeating decimals?

Thanks

Ken

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is not true that all repeating decimals are cyclic in the way that the n/7-set is cyclic

For example,
    1/9=0.11...
    2/9=0.22..

There is no "cyclic" connection between 1/9 and 2/9!

What you should do, is simply to perform the divisions 1/7,2/7,3/7,4/7,5/7,6/7
    and identify the cyclic connection between these decimal expansions.

4. Jun 4, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the decimal representation of p/q has repeating blocks of 'n' digits, then
    (p/q)*(10^n -1) =k, an integer.

In the case of n/7, the repeating block has 6 digits. So all you need is for 999999 to be divisible by 7....and it is !

From this you can see that if q is even you won't have repeating blocks. Also, no 999...9 will be divisible by 5. So if q=5 there will not be repeating blocks. And since 9 is divisible by both 3 and 9, the repeating block for those denominators will only be 1 digit long. This, I imagine does part of the job of your general proof for q=2^x*5^y.

i.e: For q<10, repeating blocks will seen only if q=3,7,9, and the size of the repeating blocks are 1,6,1 respectively.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  5. Jun 4, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops...didn't realize that you were supposed to show that the all numbers of the form n/7 had cyclical repetitions of the SAME block of digits.

Hmmm... it doesn't really say this anywhere in your post...

6. Jun 4, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well that's how I interpreted "in a cyclical manner" (since I happen to know about this curious property of the n/7-fractions)

However, it seems you have a lot more general knowledge than me about number theory;
    so I'd like to ask you:
    What conditions must be present in order for the fractions m/n (1<=m<n) represent a "cyclic" permutation of the same block of digits?

I have a sneaking suspicion that n=7 is the only number where we have this property, but I'm not sure..

7. Jun 4, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just for the record, we have:
    1/7=0.142857..
    2/7=0.285714..
    3/7=0.428571..
    4/7=0.571428..
    5/7=0.714285..
    6/7=0.857142..

8. Jun 4, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a vanishingly small knowledge of number theory, and even that little bit is self taught...but I shall see where this goes...

It's not hard to show that n/q and m/q can be written with repeating blocks (of size k) of the same numbers if there exists some r<k satisfying
    m*10^r == n (mod q) for all 0<n<m<q. {where a==b (mod c) means a-b is divisible by c}

If your suspicion is right, r's can be found only for q=7.

(I actually wrote the proof down till this point...and then I accidentally hit some button and lost everything...will do it again if required.)

If we restrict q to [1..10], then it's easy to eliminate q=2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10.

For example, take q=3 : 10==1 (mod 3) => 10^r == 1 (mod 3) for all r => m*10^r==m (mod 3).
    So if we pick some (m,n) with m<>n, then there will be no r that satisfies the required condition.

Finding all q's in Z for which r's can be found seems harder. It is easy to show that q must be odd. Further, q will need to be prime for n/q to have a decimal representation with repeating blocks.

But for now, this is as far as I will try to go.

9. Jun 4, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, the above condition can be shown to be satisfied by q=7. There are only 36 pairs of (m,n) to check and clearly the condition for (m,m) is satisfied by r=6, so there's ONLY 30 pairs to go !

So that answers imathgeek's original question. Perhaps his general proof is the way to go. That would be nice to see.

I'm sure there's a nicer way to prove this.

10. Jun 4, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh Oh...check out 17,47.

11. Jun 4, 2004 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Cool, I'll ponder on this for a while..:smile:

12. Jun 4, 2004 #11
    oops.

yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking too well before that first cup of coffee. Now, i am back to the proof.

Pure math is fun, but I still enjoy applied math. :)

Have fun,

Ken

13. Jun 4, 2004 #12
    I have done that. Thanks for the tip, though.

14. Jun 4, 2004 #13

CTS

15. Jun 4, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"No general method is known for finding full reptend primes. "

Hmmm...a few wasted minutes, but I did enjoy them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?