1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My textbook (Churchill) is asking me to prove that the contours $$u(x,y) = c_1$$ and $$v(x, y) = c_2$$ where $$u$$ and $$v$$ are the real and imaginary components of an analytic function $$f(z)$$ are orthogonal at any point by noting that $$u_x + u_y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 $$ and then showing that the tangent lines are orthogonal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can do this via taking the dot product of $$\nabla u$$ and $$\nabla v$$ and using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that $$\nabla u·\nabla v = 0$$ hence the normal vectors of the contours are orthogonal, so the contours themselves are as well. But they asked to find the tangent line first, so here's what I tried, I haven't done any vector calculus in a few years though so I'm not sure if it's valid:

$$u_x + u_y \frac{dy}{dx} = \langle u_x,u_y \rangle · \langle 1, \tfrac{dy}{dx} \rangle = 0$$

$$\langle u_x, u_y \rangle$$ is $$\nabla u$$ which is normal to the contour, so $$\langle 1, \frac{dy}{dx} \rangle$$ must be tangent to the $$u$$ contour. From the above, $$\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{u_x}{u_y}$$ so $$\langle 1, -\frac{u_x}{u_y} \rangle$$ is tangent to the $$u$$ contour.

Similarly,
    $$v_x + v_y \frac{dy}{dx} = \langle v_x, v_y \rangle · \langle 1, \tfrac{dy}{dx} \rangle = 0$$

So $$\langle 1, \frac{dy}{dx} \rangle$$ is tangent to the $$v$$ contour. In this case $$\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{v_x}{v_y}$$ so the tangent vector is $$\langle 1,-\frac{v_x}{v_y} \rangle$$ which is equal to $$\langle 1,\frac{u_y}{u_x} \rangle$$ due to the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Then $$\langle 1, -\frac{u_x}{u_y} \rangle · \langle 1, \frac{u_y}{u_x} \rangle = 1-1 = 0$$ so the $$u$$ and $$v$$ contours are orthogonal.

Is this reasoning valid?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?