1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Orthonormal Basis

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove: if an n × n matrix A is orthogonal (column vectors are orthonormal), then the columns form an orthonormal basis for R^n.
    (with respect to the standard Euclidean inner product [= the dot product]).

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that since the column vectors are orthonormal, all I have to show is that these vectors are also linearly independent and span R^n.

But I'm having some trouble showing this, so I was thinking about showing it through the basis coordinates:

u= <u, v1>v1 + <u, v2>v2 +...+ <u, vn>vn

But I think I have to start with assuming that the vectors v1, v2, ... vn form a basis. So I think that method can't work.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Linear independence is what you want to show. That means c1*v1+c2*v2+...+cn*vn=0 (where vi are your orthonormal vectors and the ci are constants) only has the solution c1=c2=...=cn=0. Can you show that? Once you have that, any set of n linearly independent vectors in R^n is a basis.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    I've been trying to figure out how, but I just can't seem to think of a way...anymore advice?

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You assume c1*v1+c2*v2+...+cn*vn=0. What is vi.(c1*v1+...+cn*vn)? '.'=dot product. Use orthonormality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook