Proof Pascal's Law: Math Fluid Mech Homework Help

In summary, the OP attempted to prove Pascal's law using a proof that used a prism. However, they say that there is a mathematical flaw in the proof. Additionally, they request help from the community since they don't understand something critical.
LFS

Homework Statement

My son was given a proof of Pascal's Law and told to learn it for his course in Fluid Mechanics.
a. It was done with a prism. I cannot type in a link, but google: pascal law prism and pick the first link and scroll down half a page to pressure and you will see this proof.
b. For the life of me, I cannot understand how this is possibly a proof since the direction of the pressure is NOT arbitrary.
c. So I attempted my own proof... However, I am a mathematician - not an engineer. I fixed the arbitrary direction problem. But I still do not understand something critical.

Homework Equations

I have posted my proof on scribd (remove the spaces):
scribd .com /doc /94146673

However, in my opinion my "proof" still has a mathematical flaw.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let M be a point in a static fluid and let p(n,M) be the pressure at a point M in the direction of an arbitrary vector n to M . Presumably - to prove Pascal's Law - I must show that p(n,M) does not depend on n.

Now, using the techniques of the prism proof, I "show" geometrically that p(n,M)=p(x,M)=p(y,M)=p(z,M) where p(x,M) is the pressure at point M in the direction of "positive x-axis", p(y,M) is the pressure at point M in the direction of positive y-axis, ...

Question: Mathematically, it seems to me that I need only ONE of these 3 equalities, e.g. p(n,M)=p(x,M). Using it, I could conclude that given another vector t to M p(t,M)=p(x,M) and conclude that p(t,M)=p(x,M)=p(n,M) and thus p(M) does not depend on my choice of vector.

I am certain that I need all 3 equalities, but WHY? Maybe something with the limits or even with the definition of p(n,M)?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello LFS, were you able to figure this out? I would love to know!

The original post is more than 3 years old, and the OP has not checked back in that time.

I think it's safe to say that you probably won't hear back from the OP.

PF also requests that you don't "necropost" to these older threads. It's perfectly fine for you to create your own thread if you have a question, and you can reference any other relevant threads.

What is Pascal's Law?

Pascal's Law, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, it will be transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid.

What is the proof of Pascal's Law?

The proof of Pascal's Law is based on the fact that fluids are considered to be incompressible, meaning that their density and volume do not change when pressure is applied. This allows for the pressure applied to one point in a fluid to be transmitted equally to all other points in the fluid.

How is Pascal's Law used in real-world applications?

Pascal's Law is used in many real-world applications, such as hydraulic systems, which use the principle to transmit pressure throughout the system to lift heavy objects or operate machinery. It is also used in the design of braking systems in cars and airplanes.

What is the difference between Pascal's Law and Bernoulli's Principle?

While both Pascal's Law and Bernoulli's Principle deal with fluids, they address different aspects. Pascal's Law focuses on the transmission of pressure in confined fluids, while Bernoulli's Principle relates to the conservation of energy in fluids as they move.

Can Pascal's Law be applied to gases?

Yes, Pascal's Law can be applied to gases as well as liquids. However, gases are more compressible than liquids, so their volume and density can change with pressure, which can slightly affect the transmission of pressure throughout the gas.