Proof of Phase Change: How Can We Prove It?

In summary, the individual is asking for a proof of the phase change from a denser spring to a less dense one. They provide a link to a website discussing seismic reflections, but clarify that this is not related to their question. They then ask for a proof of how the wave speeds compare for two strings with different densities. The respondent suggests finding the proof in textbooks on acoustics or vibration transmission. The individual also asks if the proof can be derived from momentum.
l3010o
how can we proof the phase change from denser spring to a less dense one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean 'prove' ? Please explain the problem more. Is this in relation to a simple harmonic oscillator ?

i mean how to prove these?
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean phase changes in the Earth which cause seismic reflections?

i think that's not related to the seismic reflection.

I want to know if there is any proofs of

"how do the wave speeds compare for the two strings?
From high speed to low speed (low density to high density)"
located at
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You write expressions for the waves at the interface (incident, reflected and transmitted) with unknown phases, and use the boundary conditions to find the relation between the different phases.

I don't have a reference off hand, but most textbooks on acoustics, vibration transmission, etc. should work through details of the maths.

can it be proved by momentum?
i can find them in the textbooks, but without the proofs

1. What is a phase change?

A phase change is the process by which a substance changes from one physical state to another, such as from a solid to a liquid or from a liquid to a gas.

2. How can we prove that a phase change has occurred?

There are a few ways to prove a phase change has occurred. One method is to measure the temperature of the substance, as a change in temperature is often associated with a phase change. Other methods include observing changes in the physical properties of the substance, such as its shape or volume.

3. Can we use any substance to demonstrate a phase change?

Yes, phase changes can occur in a variety of substances, including water, metals, and even gases. However, the conditions necessary for a phase change to occur may differ depending on the substance.

4. What is the importance of understanding phase changes?

Understanding phase changes is crucial in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can help us better understand the behavior of different substances and how they interact with each other under different conditions.

5. How can we apply knowledge of phase changes in everyday life?

Knowledge of phase changes has practical applications in our daily lives, such as in cooking and food preservation. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as the water cycle, and can be applied in industries such as manufacturing and energy production.