Proof of the Addition Identies

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of three trigonometric formulas in a Precalculus class and the understanding of their proofs. The conversation also includes a request for proof of the addition identities and a suggested resource for finding them.
Bogrune
So throughout this entire semester in my Precalculus class my instructor told us that for solving trigonometric formulas, we will only learn about using these three formulas:
sin2θ + cos2θ = 1
sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB

and

cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB

For about two months we've studied trigonometry using almost nothing but these three formulas, and I understood how to use them well. I understood proof of the sin2θ + cos2θ = 1 formula, since the formula for the unit circle is x2 + y2 = 1, but I've never understood the proof for the addition identities. Just out of curiosity, can anyone show me proof of both addition identities?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Huh... and to think that the last place that I was going to look for proof was Wikipedia since it always explains even the most simple math-related topic as if it was Complex Analysis. Thanks for the help though!

1. What are the Addition Identities?

The Addition Identities are mathematical rules that state the sum of any number and zero is equal to the original number, and the sum of any two numbers is equal to the sum of their individual parts.

2. How are the Addition Identities used in proofs?

The Addition Identities are used in proofs to show the equality of two expressions or equations. They can be used to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with.

3. What are the two main Addition Identities?

The two main Addition Identities are the identity property of addition, which states that any number plus zero equals that number, and the commutative property of addition, which states that changing the order of the numbers being added does not change the sum.

4. Can the Addition Identities be applied to any type of number?

Yes, the Addition Identities can be applied to any type of number, including whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and even complex numbers. They are universal mathematical rules.

5. Are the Addition Identities the same as the Associative Property?

No, the Addition Identities and the Associative Property are two distinct mathematical concepts. The Addition Identities deal specifically with addition, while the Associative Property deals with the grouping of numbers in an operation.