How can we choose y and k to express f(g(x+h)) in the desired form?

In summary: We can choose y = g(x) and k = h(g'(x) + v). This allows us to rewrite f(g(x+h)) as f(g(x)) + h(g'(x) + v)(f'(g(x)) + w).
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I am reading a proof of the chain rule given in this link: http://kruel.co/math/chainrule.pdf

Here is the portion I am troubled with:

"We know use these equations to rewrite f(g(x+h)). In particular, use the first equation to obtain

f(g(x+h)) = f(g(x) + [g'(x) + v]h),

and use the second equation applied to the right-hand-side with k = [g'(x) + v]h..."

How do they arrive at this, k = [g'(x) + v]h. Based above previous equations and definitions, I don't see how it is possible to write k in terms of the derivative of g(x), v, and h.

Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

I am reading a proof of the chain rule given in this link: http://kruel.co/math/chainrule.pdf

"We know use these equations to rewrite f(g(x+h)). In particular, use the first equation to obtain

and use the second equation applied to the right-hand-side with k = [g'(x) + v]h..."How do they arrive at this, k = [g'(x) + v]h. Based above previous equations and definitions, I don't see how it is possible to write k in terms of the derivative of g(x), v, and h.

Could someone help me?

Start with:
[tex]
f(y + k) = f(y) + k(f'(y) + w) \\
g(x + h) = g(x) + h(g'(x) + v)
[/tex]

We want to calculate [itex]f(g(x+h)) - f(g(x))[/itex], so first we need [itex]f(g(x+h))[/itex]. From the second equation,
[tex]
f(g(x + h)) = f(g(x) + h(g'(x) + v))
[/tex]
and now we apply the first equation with [itex]y = g(x)[/itex] and [itex]k = h(g'(x) + v)[/itex].

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

and use the second equation applied to the right-hand-side with k = [g'(x) + v]h..."

How do they arrive at this, k = [g'(x) + v]h. Based above previous equations and definitions, I don't see how it is possible to write k in terms of the derivative of g(x), v, and h.

Could someone help me?
What "previous" equation or definition did they have involving k? It looks to me like they are defining k to be [g'(x)+ v]h. Had they already defined it as something else?

Well, if they are defining k as [g'(x) + v]h, that would seem awfully arbitrary. What is the justification for such a definition?

Bashyboy said:
Well, if they are defining k as [g'(x) + v]h, that would seem awfully arbitrary. What is the justification for such a definition?

Go back to here:
[tex]
f(g(x+h))=f(g(x)+h(g′(x)+v))
[/tex]
We also have
[tex]
f(y + k) = f(y) + k(f'(y) + w))
[/tex]
which holds for all [itex]y[/itex] and for all [itex]k[/itex].

Thus, to express [itex]f(g(x+h))[/itex] in the form [itex]f(g(x)) + (\mbox{something involving $x$ and $h$})[/itex], which is what we must do to attain our ultimate goal of finding [itex]f(g(x+h))- f(g(x))[/itex], we need to choose [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] subject to
[tex]y + k = g(x) + h(g'(x) + v).[/tex]
What choice for [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] would you make here?

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is composed of two or more functions.

When do we use the chain rule?

The chain rule is used when we have a function that is composed of two or more functions that are nested within each other. In this case, we cannot simply use the basic derivative rules and must use the chain rule to find the derivative.

What is the formula for the chain rule?

The formula for the chain rule is given by: d/dx[f(g(x))] = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In words, this means that to find the derivative of a composite function, we take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

Can you give an example of using the chain rule?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. We can rewrite this function as f(x) = (g(x))^3, where g(x) = x^2 + 1. To find the derivative of f(x), we can use the chain rule and the power rule, giving us f'(x) = 3(g(x))^2 * g'(x) = 3(x^2 + 1)^2 * 2x = 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function. Another mistake is taking the derivative of the outer function and the inner function separately instead of using the chain rule formula. It's important to carefully work through each step and keep track of which function is the outer and which is the inner.