Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of the Jacobian

1. Dec 10, 2005 #1
    Can someone explain to me this part of the proof of the jacobian?

I dont know what they're talking about...I can follow the rest (the cross product bla bla bla bla bla) but I dont know how they're getting these two vectors...I figured it has something to do with partial differentials but Im still confused. If anyone could provide any insight Id be appreciative. :eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The notation is a bit screwy, but here's what I think they're doing.

So suppose the surface is parametrised by [itex]\vec T(u,v)[/itex].
    Take a small rectangle in the domain with dimensions [itex]\Delta u, \Delta v[/itex], the bottom left corner being the point [itex](u_0,v_0)[/itex].
    The image of this rectangle is a patch of area, which can be approximated by the parallelogram formed by the vectors:

[tex]\vec T(u_0+\Delta u,v_0)-\vec T(u_0,v_0)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\vec T(u_,v_0+\Delta v)-\vec T(u_0,v_0)[/tex] (a picture helps here).

These vectors are in turn approximated by
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial u}\vec T(u_0,v_0)\Delta u[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v}\vec T(u_0,v_0)\Delta v[/tex]
    respectively.

So area patch is about [itex]|\vec T_u \times \vec T_v|\Delta u \Delta v[/itex] and you can figure out the rest.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  4. Dec 10, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help (me, anyways) if you would say what you're trying to prove. The Jacobian is a number associated with a matrix; it doesn't make any more sense to ask about a proof of the Jacobian than it does to ask about a proof of the number 2.

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    Oh, I see it better now. THanks a lot, just wanted to say that before I go to bed. If i need further clarification Ill post the fool proof. THakns a lot guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?