Proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3

In summary, both approaches are correct, but the text's answer is more accurate as it takes into account the bounds of the variable.
hotsmart123

Homework Statement

f(x) = 1/x
Proof that the limit of f(x) = 1/3 near 3
the answer provided by the text is: (1/x - 1/3) < e by requiring abs(x-3) < min(6e, 1)
I can see that the text has the right process and therefore it reaches the right answer, but I have done it in a different process which I believe is also correct but to a different answer. Can you see where have I made the mistake in my process?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my process:
Note:
(1/x - 1/3) = (3-x)/3x

Take
abs(x-3) < 1
=> 2 < x < 4
=> 6 < 3x < 12
=> 1/6 > 1/3x > 1/12
=> abs(1/3x) > 1/12 since 3x > 0

abs( (3-x) / (3x) ) < e
=> abs( (3-x) ( 1/3x) ) < e

Therefore, (1/12)(abs(3-x)) = (1/12)(abs(x-3)) < abs(3-x)abs(1/3x) < e
shows that abs(x-3)/12 < e
or abs(x-3) < e/ 12

therefore, my final answer becomes
(1/x - 1/3) < e by requiring abs(x-3) < min(e/12, 1)

Physics news on Phys.org

Your process is also correct, but the issue is in the last step where you take the minimum of e/12 and 1. This is not necessary and can lead to a slightly different answer. Instead, you should take the minimum of e and 12, which will give the same result as the text's answer. This is because the absolute value of x-3 can never be less than 1, so taking the minimum with e/12 is unnecessary.

Therefore, the correct final answer would be (1/x - 1/3) < e by requiring abs(x-3) < min(e, 12).

In general, when taking the minimum in a limit problem, it is important to consider the bounds of the variable and make sure that the value you are taking the minimum with is actually achievable. In this case, abs(x-3) can never be less than 1, so taking the minimum with e/12 is not necessary.

What is the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3?

The proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3 is based on the definition of a limit. We can show that as x approaches 3, the value of f(x) approaches 1/3 by using the formal definition of a limit. This involves showing that for any given distance (epsilon) around 1/3, we can find a corresponding distance (delta) around 3 such that the values of f(x) within this distance of 3 will fall within the given distance of 1/3. This can be proven using algebraic manipulation and the use of the triangle inequality.

What is the intuition behind the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3?

The intuition behind the proof is that as x gets closer and closer to 3, the value of f(x) gets closer and closer to 1/3. This can be visualized by imagining a graph of f(x) = 1/x, where the function approaches 1/3 as x approaches 3. The proof involves showing that no matter how close we want f(x) to be to 1/3, we can always find a corresponding distance around 3 where the values of f(x) will fall within that desired distance.

Why is it important to prove the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3?

Proving the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3 is important because it allows us to confidently state that as x approaches 3, the value of f(x) will approach 1/3. This is useful in many applications, such as in calculus and other areas of mathematics, where limits are used to solve problems and make predictions. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their values at specific points.

What are the key steps in the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3?

The key steps in the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3 include defining the formal definition of a limit, using algebraic manipulation to find a general expression for the distance between f(x) and 1/3, and using the triangle inequality to relate this distance to a corresponding distance around 3. The proof also involves finding a specific expression for delta in terms of epsilon, which shows that for any given distance (epsilon) around 1/3, we can find a corresponding distance (delta) around 3 where the values of f(x) will fall within the given distance of 1/3.

Are there any limitations to the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3?

There are some limitations to the proof of the limit f(x) = 1/x is 1/3 near 3. One limitation is that it only works for x values approaching 3 from both the left and right sides. It does not apply to values of x that are exactly equal to 3. Additionally, the proof assumes that f(x) is continuous at 3, which may not always be the case. Finally, the proof relies on the use of the triangle inequality, which may not always be applicable in some mathematical contexts.