Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of the ratio test

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    I am trying to understand something in the proof of the ratio test for series convergence.
    If [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is a sequence of positive numbers, and that the ratio test shows that [itex] \lim_{n→∞}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = r < 1[/itex], then the series converges.

Apparently, the proof defines a number R : r<R<1, and then shows that there exists a N>0 such that [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} < R [/itex] for all n>N. It need not to be true in the case where n=N, right? Up to this part I get.

But then it concludes from the above that, there exists a positive N such that
    [itex] a_{N+1}<a_{n}R [/itex] which does not follow due to the statement in bold.

Could someone please point out where I am wrong so I can continue this theorem without any qualms? Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Hmm, think about what it means for the limit to exist. I think that might be the missing piece that shows why it works. Because if you believe it exist, there is an n greater than or equal to N such that (a_(n+1))/(a_n) is less than or equal to R for n greater than N. Then from there you can rewrite the inequality to get what you got.

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    Are you sure the part in bold is correct? Doesn't the limit definition exclusively use greater than? Because that is precisely what I don't fully understand.

BiP

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It doesn't really matter. The statement:

For all [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], there exists an N such that for all [itex]n\geq N[/itex] holds that [itex]|a_n-a|<\varepsilon[/itex].

is actually equivalent with

For all [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], there exists an N such that for all [itex]n> N[/itex] holds that [itex]|a_n-a|<\varepsilon[/itex].

So you can use both statements to define limit of a sequence. Of course, once you decided on which of both versions to use, you have to be consistent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook