Proof of U(1) gauge invariance

In summary, according to the person, the Lagrangian should be invariant under a U(1) transformation, but they are lost and need help understanding how the maths works.
Astrofiend

Homework Statement

I want to show explicitly that the Lagrangian...

[tex]

L_\Phi = (D_\mu \Phi)^\dagger (D^\mu \Phi) - \frac{m^2}{2\phi_0 ^2} [\Phi^\dagger \Phi - \phi_0 ^2]^2

[/tex]

where [tex] \Phi [/tex] is a complex doublet of scalar fields, and

[tex]
D_\mu = (\partial_u + i \frac{g_1}{2} B_\mu)
[/tex]

is the covariant derivative, with [tex]B_\mu[/tex] the introduced gauge field

...is invariant under the U(1) gauge transformation

[tex]
\Phi' = e^{-i(g_1 /2)\chi\sigma^0} \Phi
[/tex]

[tex]
B'_\mu = B_\mu + \partial_\mu \Chi
[/tex]

where [tex]\chi = \chi (x)[/tex] - i.e an arbitrary function of spacetime, [tex] \sigma_0[/tex] is the 2x2 identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had a couple of flaccid cracks at it, but I'm afraid that I'm pretty lost with this one. The problem is, most textbooks or internet resources that I can find just basically state that the Lagrangian is gauge invariant under such U(1) transformations, and that this can be shown quite easily. Not exactly helpful for someone like me trying to work out how the maths works in the first place! Is anybody able to help out, or point me to any resources where this sort of gauge invariance is demonstrated explicitly, so I can get a feel for how the maths works? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the "new" Lagrangian L' by putting primes on everything that changes: D', B', Phi'. Expand everything out using the expressions for the primed objects in terms of unprimed ones. Keep in mind that operators obey [tex]
(AB)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}A^{\dagger}[/tex] and [tex]\partial_{\mu}^{\dagger}=\partial_{\mu}[/tex]. The main thing to look for is that, because the transformation is local, there is a spacetime-dependence of the function [tex]\chi[/tex], so that you get terms proportional to [tex]\partial_{\mu}\chi\partial^{\mu}\chi[/tex] in your expansion, which are to be canceled by the new terms from the the transformed gauge field B'. Be careful with signs, including those due to products of "i" and you will end up with the original L (in terms of unprimed quantities), thus showing that L'=L.

By the way, showing gauge invariance of the interaction terms is the easy part since exp(+iA)exp(-iA)=1...the kinetic (derivative) term is the messy part.

Last edited:
Also, you have a typo in one of the formulas in your post...make sure you don't have the same mistake in your work. The gauge field should transform as

[tex]B'_{\mu} = B_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \chi[/tex]

Thanks guys. I'll try to nut it out this afternoon...

Thanks for picking up that typo...

OK - I think I'm really not getting how the maths goes on this. If anyone can have even a brief look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong, that'd be great.

I've tried to expand out the first (kinetic) part of the primed Lagrangian as described above, and got (using [tex] g = \frac{g1}{2} [/tex] which I used in the original post):

[tex]

(\partial_\mu \Phi^\dagger - igB_\mu\Phi^\dagger - ig\partial_\mu\chi\Phi^\dagger)(\partial^\mu \Phi^\dagger - igB^\mu\Phi^\dagger - ig\partial^\mu\chi\Phi^\dagger) =

[/tex]

[tex]

\partial_\mu \Phi^\dagger\partial^\mu\chi\Phi + ig\partial_\mu \Phi^\dagger B^\mu\Phi + ig\partial_\mu\Phi^\dagger\partial^\mu\chi\Phi -

[/tex]

[tex]

ig\partial^\mu\Phi B_\mu\Phi^\dagger + g^2B_\mu\Phi^\dagger\\B^\mu\Phi + g^2B_\mu\partial^\mu\chi\Phi^\dagger\Phi -
[/tex]

[tex]
ig\partial^\mu\Phi\partial_\mu\chi\Phi^\dagger + g^2\partial_\mu \chi B^\mu\Phi^\dagger\Phi + g^2\partial_\mu\chi\partial^\mu\chi\Phi^\dagger\Phi

[/tex]

...and then I made the Phi-primed substitution, using

[tex]
\partial_\mu \Phi ' = \partial_\mu e^{-ig \chi \sigma^0} \Phi = -ig \partial_\mu \chi \Phi '
[/tex]

...to get

[tex]
g^2 \partial_\mu \chi \partial^\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi - g^2 \partial_\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi B^\mu - g^2 \partial_\mu \chi \partial^\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi +
[/tex]

[tex]
g^2\partial^\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi B_\mu + g^2 B_\mu B^\mu \Phi^\dagger \Phi + g^2 \partial^\mu \chi B_\mu \Phi^\dagger \Phi +
[/tex]

[tex]
g^2 \partial^\mu \chi \partial_\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi + g^2 \partial_\mu \chi B^\mu \Phi^\dagger \Phi +g^2 \partial_\mu \chi \partial^\mu \chi \Phi^\dagger \Phi
[/tex]

So I'm trying to show that the full lagrangian is invariant under U(1) transformations, and I can't see how this has gotten me anywhere. Have I completely misunderstood how the maths works? Done something completely stupid? Or am I sort of on the right track but just can't see it?

Once again - any help much appreciated.

Done! (only took 5 hours of staring at it waiting for my slow brain to tick over...) I didn't actually need to go through all of that ungodly expanding.

Thanks to those who helped! Much appreciated.

1. What is U(1) gauge invariance?

U(1) gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the symmetry of certain physical systems. It states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under a transformation of the underlying mathematical gauge field by a unitary transformation.

2. How is U(1) gauge invariance related to electromagnetism?

U(1) gauge invariance is closely related to electromagnetism, as it is the mathematical framework that allows us to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The electromagnetic force is described by a U(1) gauge theory, known as quantum electrodynamics (QED). This theory explains how particles interact with the electromagnetic field and is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles.

3. Why is U(1) gauge invariance important in particle physics?

U(1) gauge invariance is a crucial concept in particle physics because it is the basis for the Standard Model, which is the most successful theory we have for describing the fundamental particles and forces of nature. It is also a key principle in theories beyond the Standard Model, such as supersymmetry and grand unification, which attempt to unify all the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How is U(1) gauge invariance tested in experiments?

U(1) gauge invariance is tested in experiments through precision measurements of the properties of particles and their interactions. These measurements are compared to the predictions of the Standard Model, which is based on the principle of U(1) gauge invariance. Any discrepancies between the theory and experimental results can indicate the need for a new theory or modifications to the existing one.

5. What are the consequences of breaking U(1) gauge invariance?

Breaking U(1) gauge invariance can have significant consequences in particle physics. It would mean that the underlying symmetry of the universe is no longer valid, and new particles or interactions may be present. This could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces and the possibility of new discoveries beyond the Standard Model.