Understanding Spivak's Proof of Unique Derivative: A Holiday Challenge

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, specifically about the proof of the unique derivative. The first question asks about the ≤ inequality, and the second question asks about the last equality in the second-to-last line. The answer to the first question is that it follows from the triangle inequality |x+y|\leq |x|+|y|, and the answer to the second question is the linearity of \lambda and \mu.
mathlove1
Hi--

I am trying to work through Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds over the holidays, and I am a little stuck on his proof of the unique derivative (on p. 16 as well as below).

Specifically,
(i) Why does the ≤ inequality hold, and
(ii) Why does the last equality of the second-to-last-line hold?

I would very much appreciate any help!

Attachments

• Spivak diff.png
    Spivak diff.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 989
Physics news on Phys.org
(i) The triangle inequality [tex]|x+y|\leq |x|+|y|[/tex]

(ii) Linearity of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{|\lambda(tx)-\mu(tx)|}{|tx|} = \frac{|t\lambda(x)-t\mu(x)|}{|tx|} = \frac{|t||\lambda(x)-\mu(x)|}{|t||x|} = \frac{|\lambda(x)-\mu(x)|}{|x|}[/tex]

Thanks so much!

What is "Proof of unique derivative"?

"Proof of unique derivative" is a mathematical concept that is used to show that a function has only one derivative at a given point. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to verify the accuracy of mathematical models.

Why is "Proof of unique derivative" important?

"Proof of unique derivative" is important because it ensures the consistency and accuracy of mathematical models and calculations. It allows us to confidently use derivatives to solve real-world problems and make accurate predictions.

How is "Proof of unique derivative" proven?

There are several methods for proving the uniqueness of a derivative, including the Mean Value Theorem, Rolle's Theorem, and the Cauchy Mean Value Theorem. These theorems provide conditions under which a function will have a unique derivative at a given point.

What happens if a function does not have a unique derivative?

If a function does not have a unique derivative at a given point, it means that the function is not differentiable at that point. This could be due to a sharp corner or discontinuity in the function, or because the function is not defined at that point.

How is "Proof of unique derivative" used in real-world applications?

"Proof of unique derivative" is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. It is also used in computer algorithms and machine learning to optimize functions and make accurate predictions.