What is the volume of a sphere?

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the volume of a sphere using different methods such as cylindrical coordinates and spherical polar coordinates. The formula for the volume of a sphere is (4/3)(pi)r^3 and can be derived using single variable calculus by integrating the infinitesimal volumes of the slices that make up the sphere. The conversation also touches on the difference between the volume enclosed by a spherical surface and the volume of a spherical solid, and the frustration of trying to understand mathematical concepts through online conversations.
i haven't read all the replies, but there is a classic greek proof to this problem.
take a hemisphere of radius "r", a cone and cylinder of radius=height=(r)

then, volume of cylinder is pi r^3 and of the cone is 1/3*pi r^3
thus, all we need is to find the volume of the hemisphere
if 2 solids have the same area of cs fr all arbitary slices, they have equal volumes.
thus we have, the volume sphere =volume of cylinder-vol of cone. thus=2pi/3 r^3
so, volume of a sphere is 4*pi/3 r^3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
BTW,in case you didn't know,the volume of a sphere is ZERO...

Daniel.

Is this because what the OP's really wants to prove is the volume of the closed ball comprising the sphere and its interior?

Forgive what's undoubtedly a simple question, but this isn't my field. I came in because I was interested in the same proof (or, at least, a proof of the same fact).

Also everyone please excuse my name. It seems to have gotten truncated and I'll have to see if the admins will let me change it.

tongos said:
i think one could prove it without calculus.

I haven't read through all this lengthy thread, but I know it can be done; I did it myself many years ago and have been trying to remember the details of the algebra involved. My approach involved imagining a hemisphere with n horizontal disks of equal thickness inscribed therein.

I haven't mastered the tex system yet, either, so I can't lay it all out. Essentially, though, the radius of each slice is one leg of a right triangle of which the other is kr/n where k is that slice's position counting up from the "equator" and n is the number of slices we are using. The Pythagorean theorem gives us the radius of slice k:

sqrt (r^2 - (k^2*r^2)/n^2) )

The volume of each slice is

(pi)*(r/n)*[r^2 - (k^2*r^2)/n^2) ]

so the solution for the whole hemisphere is simply to take the Riemann sum of all the slices. This involves the sum of the first n squares, which is

1/6*n*(n+1)(2n+1)

By decomposing this in the correct way I was able to arrive at a form which converged on the familiar 2/3*(pi)*r^3 value for the volume of the hemisphere, when n is allowed to increase without bound. Now I can't remember the details. I didn't use the cone and cylinder of Archimedes.

I suppose my proof is "calculus-ish", but it's definitely not formal calculus. Certainly there's no triple integral.

i have proved the volume of sphere .it is similar to you .but there is difference. i have placed the sphere on x y z axis.and the origin coincides with center of sphere.if we cut the sphere cross sectionally parallel to y-axis then the radius of each cross section y and x will haver following relation
y^2+x^2=r^2
so,y^2=r^2-x^2
and let the distance between each cross be x0. then volume of hemisphere =pi[(r^2-x0^2)x0+(r^2-4x0)x0+(r^2-9x0)x0.........r/x0]
=pi[r^3-x0^3(1+4+9.......r/x0]
=pi[r^3/-x0^3[{r/x0(r/x0+1)(2r/x0+1)}/6]
=pi[r^3-x0^3[{2r^3/x0^3}/6] because x0 is extremely small
=pi[r^3-r^3/3]
=pi[2r^3/3]
so the volume of sphere will be4/3pi*r^3 double of volume of hemisphere

Last edited:
let me try i think i have a quite simple way to prove it