1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of w=(k/m)^(1/2)

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    So I am attempting to prove the simple harmonic motion equations with calculus so as to develop a better understanding of shm problems and have more flexibility when it comes to solving them. I am having a bit of trouble understanding the proof of w=(k/m)^(1/2)

Here is how I am doing it. I am taking the x(t)=A*cos(wt+θ) equation and then the second derivative of it to find acceleration

so I am guessing that I can make a few assumptions to solve for the final equation. If I assume that the time t=0, thus we x=A, I can solve
    x's cancel out

Is this a valid way to prove the equation? Also, I am assuming that the original x(t) equation is correct, I do not know how to prove it. Is there a way to prove the original x(T) equation? Finally, I am preparing for the AP Physics C: Mechanics exam, so if I were to solve a problem using Calculus, for those of you familiar with the exam, would the graders allow me to start off a proof of an answer with x(t)=A*cos(wt+θ) as a given?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Yeah you should be fine, BUT I would recommend recalling that :

x[t] = A Cos wt + B Sin wt

theres two parts depending on your initial conditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?