Proving Zorn's Lemma: A Guide to Understanding and Application

• Thread starter quantum123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the proof of Zorn's lemma requires some knowledge of set theory, and can be found in a reference called "Introduction to set theory, by Hrbacek and Jech."
quantum123
I want to learn how to prove the Zorn's lemma.
Can anyone here help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof of Zorn's lemma requires some knowledge of set theory. Explicitly, you'll need to know about the axioms of ZFC, the replacement axiom, the axiom of choice, transfinite induction, ordinals,...

To learn about all these things, I've got two beautiful references for you:
- Introduction to set theory, by Hrbacek and Jech
- Set theory, by Jech

If you want some free materials on the internet, then I recommend staff.science.uva.nl/~vervoort/AST/ast.pdf but it's not at all an easy lecture...

Interesting and thanks!
I have saved staff.science.uva.nl/~vervoort/AST/ast.pdf and will read it soon.
Thanks for sharing, micromass!

LOL
Axiom 0:
i) There exists at least 1 thing, and
ii) everything is a set.

You can prove Zorn's Lemma from basic set theoretic facts, without any use of transfinite induction, ordinals etc..
A good proof is given in Zorn's Lemma- An elementary proof under the Axiom of Choice http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.6698 .

I was really stuck by Hamos' proof. Thanks for this 6 pages explanation. I will try to understand it later. BTW, I have finally understood the transfinite induction proof - in that proof you need the ordinals ..

A bit of reminiscense: when I was exposed to this material I recall that there were several statements including the Axiom of Choice and Zorn's lemma, and they were all equivalent.

Finished reading the proof. I wonder why must the proof of such an innocent theorem be so long. From the definition of a poset, axiom of choice, one need to define initial segments, chains, towers, comparable sets, layers upon layers of abstraction to prove something like: a maximal element exist. This reminds me of the movie: Inception. You need to dream 5 levels to plant just a simple idea.

1. What is Zorn's Lemma?

Zorn's Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that every partially ordered set that satisfies a certain condition, known as the maximal principle, has a maximal element.

2. Why is Zorn's Lemma important?

Zorn's Lemma is an important tool in mathematical proofs and is often used in fields such as set theory, topology, and abstract algebra. It allows for the construction of new mathematical objects and helps to establish the existence of certain structures.

3. How do you prove Zorn's Lemma?

The proof of Zorn's Lemma involves assuming that a partially ordered set does not have a maximal element and then constructing a chain that violates this assumption. This leads to a contradiction, and thus, the existence of a maximal element must be true.

4. What are some real-world applications of Zorn's Lemma?

Zorn's Lemma has been used in various fields, including economics, computer science, and physics. It has also been applied to problems in game theory, operations research, and social choice theory.

5. Are there any alternative formulations of Zorn's Lemma?

Yes, there are several equivalent formulations of Zorn's Lemma, including the Kuratowski–Zorn Lemma and the Hausdorff maximal principle. These formulations can be useful in different contexts and provide different insights into the concept of maximality in partially ordered sets.