1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof on continuous functions

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

assume h: R->R is continuous on R and let K={x: h(x)=0}. Show that K is a closed set.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since we know h is continuous and h(x)=0. therefore, we know there is a epsilon neighborhood such that x belongs to preimage f^(-1)({0}). I got stuck up to this step since h maps all x's in R to 0 so this could mean all members in R so i don't see it's a closed set at all. please help. i'm confused with this concept.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2
    Since {0} is closed in R. This means that [tex]h^{-1}{\{0\}}= \{x\in R:h(x)=0 \}[/tex]

If the domain D is closed, then the inverse image of every closed set under h is also closed.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or use the caracterisation of continuity by sequences. Let x_n be a sequence of element of K that converges in R to x. What can you say about h(x)?
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    because {0} is closed in R and f is a function bijected R back to R. therefore, [tex]
    h^{-1}{\{0\}}= \{x\in R:h(x)=0 \}\supseteq {\{0\}} \supset R?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. Jun 2, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That makes no sense whatsoever. R isn't contained in {0} and there is no containment relation between h^(-1){0} and {0} either. Start really simple. Let h(x)=cos(x). What is h^(-1){0}? Is it closed? Just to make sure you actually understand what the problem is.
  7. Jun 2, 2008 #6
    sorry i mixed up the symbol it should be the reverse. and [tex] h^{-1}{\{0\}} \subset R [/tex].
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. Jun 2, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That makes it a little better, but it's still not a proof. There's no 'bijection' here.
  9. Jun 2, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The very first time I was called upon to present a proof in graduate school, it involved "f-1(A)" for a set A. I assumed f had an inverse function and was very embarrassed when it was pointed out to me that the notation f-1(A) does NOT imply that. If f is, in fact, "one-to-one" then f-1({0})= {0} is a singleton set which is trivially closed. The problem is when f is NOT one-to-one and so is does not have an inverse function.

It is certainly true that R\{0} is an open set. Can you use the fact that f-1({0})= R\ f-1(R\{0})?

There is a standard topological characterization of continuous functions that makes that almost trivial but I don't know if you can use that.
  10. Jun 2, 2008 #9
    I like this one the best. If you consider a limit point of K, you can construct a sequence in K that converges to that point (by simply invoking the definition of a limit point), and thus show from the continuity of h that the limit point must then also be in K. If any limit point of K is in K, then K is closed by definition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?