In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving operators and how to find the most general operator that satisfies certain conditions. The conversation also touches on the basic condition for an operator to be hermitian.
Je m'appelle
Hello, could you please give me an insight on how to get through this proof involving operators?

Proof:
Given an eigenvalue-eigenvector equation, suppose that the vectorstate depends on an external parameter, e.g. time, and that over it acts an operator that is the fourth derivative w.r.t. time. If this operator is hermitian, find the most general operator possible that satisfies these conditions and what are the boundary conditions on the eigenfunctions that are needed.
Attempt:

Using [itex]A[/itex] as our hermitian operator and [itex]|\psi (t) \rangle[/itex] for its time dependent eigenvector, and [itex]a(t)[/itex] for its eigenvalue, I suppose the simplest eigenvalue-eigenvector equation one can write would be

[tex]A|\psi (t) \rangle = a(t) |\psi (t) \rangle[/tex]

As for the operator, I'd say it follows directly that

[tex]A \sim \frac{\partial^4}{\partial t^4} [/tex]

[tex]a(t) = a^*(t)[/tex]

Now, based on the assumption I've been correct so far, comes the part where I'm stuck. I understand the general concept of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, i.e. [itex]a(t)[/itex] would generate a set of eigenfunctions [itex]\psi(t)[/itex], however I'm not fully aware which boundary conditions would be necessary from the provided information aside from the fact that [itex]a(t)[/itex] is a real number. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Je m'appelle said:
Hello, could you please give me an insight on how to get through this proof involving operators?

Proof:
Given an eigenvalue-eigenvector equation, suppose that the vectorstate depends on an external parameter, e.g. time, and that over it acts an operator that is the fourth derivative w.r.t. time. If this operator is hermitian, find the most general operator possible that satisfies these conditions and what are the boundary conditions on the eigenfunctions that are needed.
Attempt:

Using [itex]A[/itex] as our hermitian operator and [itex]|\psi (t) \rangle[/itex] for its time dependent eigenvector, and [itex]a(t)[/itex] for its eigenvalue, I suppose the simplest eigenvalue-eigenvector equation one can write would be

[tex]A|\psi (t) \rangle = a(t) |\psi (t) \rangle[/tex]

As for the operator, I'd say it follows directly that

[tex]A \sim \frac{\partial^4}{\partial t^4} [/tex]

[tex]a(t) = a^*(t)[/tex]

Now, based on the assumption I've been correct so far, comes the part where I'm stuck. I understand the general concept of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, i.e. [itex]a(t)[/itex] would generate a set of eigenfunctions [itex]\psi(t)[/itex], however I'm not fully aware which boundary conditions would be necessary from the provided information aside from the fact that [itex]a(t)[/itex] is a real number. Any hints?
Bonjour "Je m'appelle"... En ce qui me concerne, moi je m'appelle Patrick :-)Write the operator as ##C \partial^4/\partial t^4 ## where C is a constant. What is the basic condition for such an operator to be hermitian?

nrqed said:
Bonjour "Je m'appelle"... En ce qui me concerne, moi je m'appelle Patrick :-)Write the operator as ##C \partial^4/\partial t^4 ## where C is a constant. What is the basic condition for such an operator to be hermitian?

Bonjour Patrick! Merci pour ta réponse. Ça va? As for your question, I'd say it's the operator being self-adjoint, i.e. [itex]A = A^{\dagger}[/itex], also I believe I know where you're going at, I should have written [itex]A = i \frac{\partial^4}{\partial t^4}[/itex] instead?

1. What is the purpose of proving operator properties?

The purpose of proving operator properties is to establish the validity and rules of operation for a particular mathematical operator. By proving these properties, we can ensure that the operator follows consistent and predictable rules, which is essential for using it in various mathematical calculations and applications.

2. How do you prove operator properties?

To prove operator properties, we typically use mathematical proofs that involve logical deductions and reasoning. This involves starting with known properties and using logical steps to show that the operator follows these properties. Examples and counterexamples can also be used to support the proof.

3. What are some common examples of operator properties?

Some common examples of operator properties include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. Commutativity refers to the property of an operator where changing the order of the operands does not change the result (e.g. 2 + 3 = 3 + 2). Associativity refers to the property where the grouping of operands does not affect the result (e.g. (2 + 3) + 4 = 2 + (3 + 4)). Distributivity refers to the property where an operator distributes over another operator (e.g. 2 * (3 + 4) = 2 * 3 + 2 * 4).

4. Why is it important to understand operator properties?

Understanding operator properties is important because it allows us to use mathematical operators correctly and efficiently. It also helps us to recognize and avoid common errors in calculations. Additionally, understanding operator properties is essential for more advanced mathematical concepts and applications.

5. Are operator properties universal?

No, operator properties are not universal, and they may vary depending on the mathematical system or context in which they are used. For example, some operators may have different properties in different number systems, such as the real numbers versus the complex numbers. It is important to specify the properties of an operator within a specific context to ensure accurate and consistent use.