Symmetry of R: Proof & Solutions

In summary, the problem is with the formulation of the statement in [1.] and the problem is solved with the definition in [6.]
Kolmin

Homework Statement

[itex]R[/itex] is simmetric iff [itex]R=R^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]( \forall x \forall y ((x,y) \in R \rightarrow (y,x) \in R)) \leftrightarrow R=R^{-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with my formulation in [2.] of the statement I have to prove.

Is that formulation right or the right one is [itex]( \forall x \in A \forall y \in A ((x,y) \in R \rightarrow (y,x) \in R)) \leftrightarrow R=R^{-1}[/itex]?

The difference is significative, at least for my purpose. In the first case, I can prove it, in the second one, I cannot (or I am not able), so I would like to know if the second one is redundant.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is A? And, just to makesure, what is the definition of symmetric you're starting with? I know this is a standard term, but maybe your definition is slightly different?

Bacle2 said:
What is A? And, just to makesure, what is the definition of symmetric you're starting with? I know this is a standard term, but maybe your definition is slightly different?

Well, that's the problem. :smile:

Given a set [itex]A[/itex], a relation [itex]R[/itex] on [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric if [itex]\forall x \in A \forall y \in A(xRy \rightarrow yRx)[/itex].

So, here we are.The formulation in [3.] should be the correct one to translate the statement in [1.] in logical terms, but - at the same time - it is problematic cause I am free to derive the [itex][ \rightarrow ][/itex] part of the proof only if there is not [itex]A[/itex] in the definition. Then, is it redundant or not?

PS: Not sure you read my previous thread, but the all problem arises cause I am trying to use the software Proof Designer, which is a tool that can be use to implement the learning system presented in the book How to prove it: a structured approach to develop proof-skills. This software (and the books) are great, but the (positive!) side-effect is that human flexibility is not the point here. :smile:

Kolmin said:
Given a set [itex]A[/itex], a relation [itex]R[/itex] on [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric if [itex]\forall x \in A \forall y \in A(xRy \rightarrow yRx)[/itex].

Just for the curious reader, who is studying How to prove it and who is frustrated by the lack of results obtained with Proof Designer, I think I found a way to fix the problem.

We define the theorem that has to be proved in the following way: [tex] \forall x \in A \forall y \in A((x,y) \in A \times A \rightarrow (y,x) \in A \times A) \leftrightarrow A \times A = (A \times A)^{-1} [/tex].
Then we define [itex]R=A \times A[/itex] and the problem is solved.

PS: [itex]A[/itex] obviously is not redundant, so my question was simply wrong!

1. What is symmetry of R?

Symmetry of R refers to the property of the real number line where a point on one side of the origin has a corresponding point on the other side with an equal distance from the origin.

2. How is symmetry of R proven?

The symmetry of R can be proven using the definition of symmetry, which states that for every point x on the real number line, there exists a point -x that is equidistant from the origin. This can also be proven geometrically by reflecting points across the origin and showing that the distance between the original point and its reflection is equal.

3. What are the solutions to symmetry of R?

The solutions to symmetry of R are all real numbers, as the property of symmetry holds for any point on the real number line. This means that for any real number x, there exists a corresponding real number -x that is equidistant from the origin.

4. Why is symmetry of R important?

Symmetry of R is important because it is a fundamental property of the real number line and is used in various mathematical concepts, including geometry and algebra. It helps us understand and visualize the relationship between positive and negative numbers, and is essential in solving equations and graphing functions.

5. How is symmetry of R used in real life?

Symmetry of R is used in various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and architecture. It is used to design structures that are stable and balanced, and to analyze the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in financial markets to predict and understand patterns in stock prices and market trends.