1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: One more irrationality proof

1. Aug 30, 2005 #1
    Proof: One more irrationality proof :)

Ok, for this one I cannot even start the proof because I do not even know what I am trying to prove :mad:

The question states:

Prove of give a counterexample: there do not exist irrational numbers x and y such that x^y is rational.

Ok, lets knock out the counterexample, because I think that there is definitely not one. And now it is a proof, and the statement is an implication. But which way is the implication is what I cannot figure out.

Is it: If x and y are irrational, then x^y is irrational? Or, If x and y are rational, then x^y is rational?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

The statement is not true. Think about logs.
  4. Aug 30, 2005 #3
    Ohh, well that makes it so that I do not even have to prove it. Sweet! I will mess around with that. Thanks.

However, what if it were ture. Then how would I write the implication so that I could prove it?
  5. Aug 30, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That says:

It is false that there exists irrational numbers x and y such that x^y is rational.

right? How does negation propagate through quantifiers?

P.S. it's a simple matter to have figured out how to find the counterexample yourself. You were probably limiting your options!

Note that the counterexample consists of three parts:

An irrational number x
    An irrational nubmer y
    A rational number x^y

You probably tricked yourself into thinking you need to guess irrational x and y, hoping to get a rational x^y.

It's far easier to guess a rational x^y and an irrational x, and hope for an irrational y. :smile:
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. Aug 30, 2005 #5
    Then it would be: It is true that for all irrational numbers x and y that x^y is irrational. (Which is going to be false because there is a counter example.

So then the implication would be: If x and y are irrational, then x^y is irrational. Correct? Thanks.

So when I am looking for a counterexample I should think about finding a counterexample of the contrapositive too, or break it into parts as you have.

So there are a infinite counterexamples. When you say it the other way around it is easy :smile:

[tex]\pi^{log_{\pi}42} = 42[/tex]

Whenever I get a chance to make things whatever I want, I am supposed to make them cool numbers right? :smile:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  7. Aug 31, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you proved thatlog of pi in base 42 is irrational did you? seems like oyu're assuming the answer.

anyway, here is *the* counter example.

conjsider sqrt(2), raise it to the power sqrt(2) what do you get? rational or irrational, if it's rational you've got a counter example, and even if not what can you do now to get a coutner example?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?