1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: Orthagonal Complement

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    Prove that the orthogonal complement of a subspace of (Rn) is itself a subspace of (Rn)

-----------------------------------------------------

Let V be the orthogonal complement of S, S a subspace of (Rn).

Let the set of vectors that span (Rn) be written as the columns of matrix A.

consider the homogenous equation

A(transpose)u=0

The solution space of the vectors u will all dot with any row vector from A transpose equaling zero.

So the null space of A transpose is the subspace V.

By (Fundamental Subspace Theroem) Two subspaces, Column space of a matricies transpose and the nullspace of that same matrix form a direct sum of (Rn).

Thus V is also a subspace of (Rn)

Does this make sense?
    Am I trying way too hard here becuase this seems like it should be an easy one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea, that seems about right, although I think you want the columns to span S, not R^n.

It would probably be a good exercise to try to prove this directly from the definition of the orthogonal complement of a subspace, rather than appealing to that theorem.

4. Apr 30, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wouldn't do anything that complicated. In particular, there is no reason to appeal to "matrices". A subset of a vector space is a subspace if and only if au+ bv is a membere of subset whenever u and v are members of the subset and a and b scalars. If u and v are members of v and w a member of S, what is the innerproduct of (au+bv) with w?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?