Proof Practice Ideas: Books, Exercises, & Theorems

In summary, the conversation includes a request for recommendations on books and exercises for practicing proofs at a university level. The conversation also touches on various proof strategies and concepts, including parity and countable sets. Finally, there are suggestions for books and resources, as well as a math problem to try.
UncertaintyAjay
Could anyone recommend some books or exercises to practice proofs? Or even post some theorems to prove?
Thanks in advance,
Ajay

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not sure of what you are looking for, but most elementary books contain proofs, and contain theorems. Look for some theorem that interests you, try to prove it and if you're stuck, just post it here and we'll gladly help.

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Also, if you scroll through the Calculus and beyond section you might find some exercises to try to prove.

Or.. you might prove that there are no positive integers ##a,b,## and ##c## such that for ##n \geq 3##

$$a^n + b^n = c^n$$.
:-p

Haha.

UncertaintyAjay said:
Or even post some theorems to prove?
What field of mathematics and what level are you interested in?

I'll be headed to university this fall. I am familiar with calculus, really basic number theory, geometry, algebra etc.

UncertaintyAjay said:
I'll be headed to university this fall. I am familiar with calculus, really basic number theory, geometry, algebra etc.

You might start by trying to prove some statements about parity. Like an odd number times an odd number is always odd. Even number times anything is always even. Those are pretty straight forward. If you feel you already feel comfortable with those. Then really you should just find a good introductory proofs book, and begin familiarizing yourself with basic proof strategies.

Yeah, I've done those. I am also familiar with a few proof strategies like induction and proof by contradiction but concepts are a bit hazy. Any recommendations for books?

UncertaintyAjay said:
Ok. The following is perhaps more about notation and careful reading than about mathematics proper, but here it is:

Prove or disprove: ##\{x > 0 \,:\, x < r\,\forall\,r > 0\} \neq \emptyset##.

UncertaintyAjay said:
I am also familiar with a few proof strategies like induction
Does that mean that you know what a countable set is?

Krylov said:
{x>0:x<r∀r>0}≠∅{x>0:x<r∀r>0}≠∅\{x > 0 \,:\, x < r\,\forall\,r > 0\} \neq \emptyset.
I assume this is for x and r both belonging to real numbers?Assume the above statement to be true. Then for any element of the set S {r:r>0} there must be another element smaller than it. I.e there is no smallest element of S.( Now i am a bit stuck, I know that there is no smallest element in the set of real numbers, so the statement is true,but I haven't the foggiest idea how to prove it. I'll think over and see if there is another approach to the proof as well)

Krylov said:
Does that mean that you know what a countable set is?
I do. The set of natural numbers,prime numbers, odd numbers, even numbers etc. are countably infinite. Real numbers, irrational numbers etc. are not.

Edit: Sets like "Natural numbers less than 10" are countable. Just not countably infinite. Uncountable sets are ones where you cannot create a one to one function with the set of natural numbers.

UncertaintyAjay said:
I do. The set of natural numbers,prime numbers, odd numbers, even numbers etc. are countably infinite. Real numbers, irrational numbers etc. are not.

What about rationals?

Countable. Right?

UncertaintyAjay said:
I assume this is for x and r both belonging to real numbers?
Yes, that was implicit in the ##>## sign, but you are very correct.
UncertaintyAjay said:
I'll think over
Ok :smile:
UncertaintyAjay said:
Beautiful, then I already have some other calculus-flavored exercises in mind.

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Bring it on. I haven't been this excited in ages.

Likes S.G. Janssens
UncertaintyAjay said:
Bring it on. I haven't been this excited in ages.
I was thinking about this one, but it may be a bit too difficult, since a number of steps are required. However, in principle it should be doable.
  1. Let ##f : [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}## be nondecreasing. Prove that ##f## has a countable number of discontinuities.
  2. Let ##g: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## be nondecreasing. Prove or disprove: ##g## has a countable number of discontinuities.
Take your time for it. (Don't feel obliged either. If others have exercises that appeal more to you, go ahead and do those.)

UncertaintyAjay said:

I highly recommend Spivak's Calculus. I found it to be extremely well-written, and fostered a love of pure math in me (an engineering student).

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Maybe this can help with proofs: fb/brilliant
Here you can do this problem:

Find the prime number which is one less than a perfect square number?

For more view this link

1. What is the purpose of "Proof Practice Ideas"?

The purpose of "Proof Practice Ideas" is to provide a comprehensive guide for practicing and improving one's skills in mathematical proof writing. It includes a selection of books, exercises, and theorems that are commonly used in the field of mathematics.

2. How can "Proof Practice Ideas" benefit me as a mathematician?

"Proof Practice Ideas" can benefit you as a mathematician by providing a structured and organized approach to practicing proof writing. It offers a variety of resources and techniques for improving your logical reasoning and critical thinking skills, which are essential in the field of mathematics.

3. Are there any recommended books included in "Proof Practice Ideas"?

Yes, "Proof Practice Ideas" includes a list of recommended books that cover various topics in mathematics and are known for their clear explanations and challenging exercises. These books can serve as valuable resources for practicing and mastering proof writing techniques.

4. How can I effectively use the exercises in "Proof Practice Ideas"?

The exercises in "Proof Practice Ideas" are designed to help you apply the concepts and techniques learned from the recommended books and theorems. It is recommended to start with simpler exercises and gradually move on to more challenging ones, while also taking the time to review and understand any mistakes made.

5. Can "Proof Practice Ideas" help me prepare for exams or competitions?

Yes, "Proof Practice Ideas" can be a valuable tool in preparing for exams or competitions that require strong proof writing skills. By regularly practicing with the recommended exercises and theorems, you can improve your ability to solve complex problems and effectively communicate your solutions in a logical and coherent manner.