1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof problem

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    Dear all,

I want to prove that the following inequalities are true. I hope you can give some hints. Thanks a lot!

Define

[tex]
    c_{\beta}=\sum_{j=1}^n
    \sigma_j^{\frac{2\beta}{\beta+1}}\sum_{1\leq i<k \leq n}\Big(
    \sigma_k^{\frac{2}{3(\beta+1)}} +
    \sigma_i^{\frac{2}{3(\beta+1)}} \Big)^3 , \mbox{\hspace{1.5cm}}0\leq\sigma_i^2\leq 1, \forall i\in \{1,2,\cdots,n\}
    [/tex]

Prove that:

1)
    [tex]
    n \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
    \sigma_k^{\frac{2}{3}} +
    \sigma_i^{\frac{2}{3}} \Big)^3 \geq \sum_{j=1}^{n}\sigma_j \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
    \sigma_k^{\frac{1}{3}} +
    \sigma_i^{\frac{1}{3}} \Big)^3
    [/tex]

and
    2)
    [tex]
    4n(n-1) \sum_{j=1}^n \sigma_j^2 \geq \sum_{j=1}^{n} \sigma_j \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
    \sigma_k^{\frac{1}{3}} +
    \sigma_i^{\frac{1}{3}} \Big)^3
    [/tex]

I.e.:
    [tex]
    c_0 \geq c_1
    [/tex]

[tex]
    c_{\infty} \geq c_1
    [/tex]

It is easy to prove when n=2 by taking the dirivative with respect to [tex]\sigma_1[/tex], and showing that the dirivative switches the sign at point [tex]\sigma_1 = \sigma_2[/tex]. How to prove when n>2?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2
    1) So, what happens if you let B=0, then B=1 ? Base on your given condition C0>C1, you can prove 1.
    2) Things are just the same, you pay attention to 4n(n-1) which is kind of a sum's result, and let B->infinity, then you will have C_infinity that again, under given condition C_inf > C1. You can prove 2.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your sugestion. I want to prove that both C_0 and C_inf are larger than C_1. Could you give more detailed hints? Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?