Proving Inequalities with n > 2: A Challenge

In summary: Thanks for your sugestion. I want to prove that both C_0 and C_inf are larger than C_1. Could you give more detailed hints? Thanks a lot!
phonic
Dear all,

I want to prove that the following inequalities are true. I hope you can give some hints. Thanks a lot!

Define

[tex]
c_{\beta}=\sum_{j=1}^n
\sigma_j^{\frac{2\beta}{\beta+1}}\sum_{1\leq i<k \leq n}\Big(
\sigma_k^{\frac{2}{3(\beta+1)}} +
\sigma_i^{\frac{2}{3(\beta+1)}} \Big)^3 , \mbox{\hspace{1.5cm}}0\leq\sigma_i^2\leq 1, \forall i\in \{1,2,\cdots,n\}
[/tex]

Prove that:

1)
[tex]
n \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
\sigma_k^{\frac{2}{3}} +
\sigma_i^{\frac{2}{3}} \Big)^3 \geq \sum_{j=1}^{n}\sigma_j \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
\sigma_k^{\frac{1}{3}} +
\sigma_i^{\frac{1}{3}} \Big)^3
[/tex]

and
2)
[tex]
4n(n-1) \sum_{j=1}^n \sigma_j^2 \geq \sum_{j=1}^{n} \sigma_j \sum_{1\leq i <k \leq n}\Big(
\sigma_k^{\frac{1}{3}} +
\sigma_i^{\frac{1}{3}} \Big)^3
[/tex]

I.e.:
[tex]
c_0 \geq c_1
[/tex]

[tex]
c_{\infty} \geq c_1
[/tex]

It is easy to prove when n=2 by taking the dirivative with respect to [tex]\sigma_1[/tex], and showing that the dirivative switches the sign at point [tex]\sigma_1 = \sigma_2[/tex]. How to prove when n>2?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) So, what happens if you let B=0, then B=1 ? Base on your given condition C0>C1, you can prove 1.
2) Things are just the same, you pay attention to 4n(n-1) which is kind of a sum's result, and let B->infinity, then you will have C_infinity that again, under given condition C_inf > C1. You can prove 2.

Last edited:
Thanks for your sugestion. I want to prove that both C_0 and C_inf are larger than C_1. Could you give more detailed hints? Thanks a lot!

Emieno said:
1) So, what happens if you let B=0, then B=1 ? Base on your given condition C0>C1, you can prove 1.
2) Things are just the same, you pay attention to 4n(n-1) which is kind of a sum's result, and let B->infinity, then you will have C_infinity that again, under given condition C_inf > C1. You can prove 2.

1. How do you prove inequalities with n > 2?

To prove inequalities with n > 2, you can use mathematical induction or other methods such as Cauchy-Schwarz inequality or AM-GM inequality.

2. Why is it important to prove inequalities with n > 2?

Proving inequalities with n > 2 is important because it allows us to analyze and compare the relationships between different variables or quantities. It also helps in solving complex mathematical problems and proving theorems.

3. What are some common challenges when proving inequalities with n > 2?

Some common challenges when proving inequalities with n > 2 include finding the appropriate approach or method, understanding the properties and conditions of the variables involved, and accurately manipulating equations and inequalities.

4. Can you provide an example of proving an inequality with n > 2?

One example of proving an inequality with n > 2 is proving the AM-GM inequality: for any positive real numbers a1, a2, ..., an, the following inequality holds: (a1 + a2 + ... + an)/n ≥ (a1a2...an)1/n.

5. How can proving inequalities with n > 2 be applied in real-life situations?

Proving inequalities with n > 2 can be applied in various real-life situations, such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, it can be used to analyze the relationships between different factors and make informed decisions. In engineering, it can be used to optimize designs and improve efficiency. In physics, it can be used to understand the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.