1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Question: Prove integer + 1/2 is not an integer

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    I was in the middle of proving something when I reached a contradiction, that .5 + an integer = an integer. However, this cannot be true, and I'm curious if its acceptable to just say that by definition of integers .5 + an integer is not an integer, or do I have to prove it?
    Furthermore, if I have to prove it, how would I go about this? I would say let x and y be integers, so x + .5 = y, right?
    Since x and y are integers then x = x/1 and y = y/1, so x/1 + 1/2 = y/1.
    2x/2 + 1/2 = y/1
    so
    (2x + 1/2)/2 = y/1
    and then... If I said that 2x +1/2 was not a whole number so dividing it by two must give a fraction, and thus it can't be reduced to a whole number over 1... That doesn't sound like it works though becuase its just restating what I was trying to prove... Not to mention I'm not sure I can even say that a fraction divided by two doesn't give a whole number... Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    Are you saying that

[tex]\frac{(2x+\frac{1}{2})}{2}=\frac{y}{1}[/tex]

shows that [itex]\frac{1}{2}+n1=n2[/itex]?

n is an arbitrary integer.

(there's a problem with this post. unwanted spacing)

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    There is a MUCH quicker way.
    supose 0.5+N=M where N and M are integers. Then 0.5=M-N. But if M and N are integers, M-N is an integer. But this implies 0.5 is an integer. This is a cointradiction. Done.

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4
    How do you figure Setting x=x/1 forces x to be an integer?

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5
    To show 1/2 is not an integer, use its definition:

1/2 is the number that satisfies the equation 2x=1.

Now, for any integer n, 2n is never 1 (why? because 2n is always even and 1 is odd, and no integer is both even and odd.) Hence, 1/2 cannot be an integer.

Of course, to argue that no integer is both even and odd uses the quotient-remainder theorem, which in turn relies on the well-ordering principle of the positive integers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?