1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof question

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    I want to prove that sin(x) is continuous at some x_0 without using the fact that cos(x) is continuous. I get that this |sin(x) - sin(x_0)| = |2*sin(x-x_0)/2cos(x-x_0)/2| and then because cos(g(x)) is bounded above by 1
    that the above is <= 2|sin((x-x_0)/2)| Looking at a triangle where sine is the vertical distance to x-x_0 it is easy to see that sin(x) <= x for all x, and if I have this, I have that the above is <= |x-x_0| which is strictly less than epsilon which equals delta, and the proof is done. But I don't know how to prove that sin(x) <= x. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at a point on the unit circle at an angle x from the x-axis. sin(x) is the vertical distance of the point from the x-axis and x is the length of the arc between that point and the x-axis.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How you prove sine is continuous depends strongly on how exactly you define sine! Dick's suggestion is based on the most common definition: sin(t) is the y-coordinate of the point at distance t around the unit circle from (1, 0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?