Proving sin(x) $\leq$ x Without Using cos(x)

• Thread starter icantadd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the continuity of sin(x) without using the continuity of cos(x). The conversation also mentions using the fact that cos(g(x)) is bounded above by 1 and that sin(x) is less than or equal to x for all x. Furthermore, the conversation mentions the relationship between sin(x) and a point on the unit circle at an angle x from the x-axis. The conversation concludes with a mention of the different definitions of sine and how they impact the proof of continuity.
icantadd
I want to prove that sin(x) is continuous at some x_0 without using the fact that cos(x) is continuous. I get that this |sin(x) - sin(x_0)| = |2*sin(x-x_0)/2cos(x-x_0)/2| and then because cos(g(x)) is bounded above by 1
that the above is <= 2|sin((x-x_0)/2)| Looking at a triangle where sine is the vertical distance to x-x_0 it is easy to see that sin(x) <= x for all x, and if I have this, I have that the above is <= |x-x_0| which is strictly less than epsilon which equals delta, and the proof is done. But I don't know how to prove that sin(x) <= x. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at a point on the unit circle at an angle x from the x-axis. sin(x) is the vertical distance of the point from the x-axis and x is the length of the arc between that point and the x-axis.

How you prove sine is continuous depends strongly on how exactly you define sine! Dick's suggestion is based on the most common definition: sin(t) is the y-coordinate of the point at distance t around the unit circle from (1, 0).

1. Can sin(x) ever be greater than x?

No, sin(x) is always less than or equal to x for all values of x.

2. How can sin(x) be proven to be less than or equal to x without using cos(x)?

One method is to use the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that if a continuous function has opposite signs at two points, then it must have at least one root between those points. By considering the function f(x) = x - sin(x), we can show that it has a root between x = 0 and x = 1, which proves that sin(x) is always less than or equal to x.

3. Is there a graphical representation that can help understand this proof?

Yes, by plotting the graph of the function f(x) = x - sin(x), we can see that it intersects the x-axis at x = 0 and x = 1, indicating that it has a root between those points. This visual representation can help to understand the concept of the Intermediate Value Theorem.

4. Are there any other methods to prove sin(x) $\leq$ x without using cos(x)?

Yes, another method is to use the Taylor series expansion for sin(x) and show that all the terms are less than or equal to x for all values of x. This method is more algebraic and does not require the use of the Intermediate Value Theorem.

5. Can this proof be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, similar methods can be used to prove that other trigonometric functions, such as tan(x), cot(x), sec(x), and csc(x), are always less than or equal to x for all values of x. However, the specific approach may differ depending on the function.