Proof/Disproof: ab = 3k for all b ∈ ℤ

• Thread starter mateomy
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "There exists an integer 'a' such that ab\equiv\,0\,(mod 3) for every integer 'b'" can be proven by choosing a=3. This is because any value of b multiplied by 3 will result in an integer, thus satisfying the congruence.
mateomy
Prove or disprove:

There exists an integer "a" such that [itex]ab\equiv\,0\,(mod 3)[/itex] for every integer "b".

I know I can rewrite the above as [itex]ab=3k[/itex] for some k[itex]\,\in\,\mathbb{Z}[/itex], but other than that I'm not sure where to go. I realize that dividing any of the above will not necessarily result in an integer which contradicts the initial statement, but I'm sort of lost on the wording. Am I on the right path?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing both sides by 3 (so the right side is an integer). Do you see an obvious choice for a so that the left side is an integer or are there no choices?

As long as a is a multiple of 3 it would work. I just don't know how to word that correctly.

Here's how you might start the proof:

Indeed, let a=3, then for any b...

1. What does "ab = 3k" mean?

The statement "ab = 3k" means that the product of two integers a and b is equal to a multiple of 3, represented by the variable k. In other words, 3 is a factor of the product ab.

2. Is the statement "ab = 3k" always true for any integer b?

No, the statement is only true for certain values of a and b. For example, if a = 2 and b = 3, then ab = 6 which is a multiple of 3. However, if a = 2 and b = 5, then ab = 10 which is not a multiple of 3.

3. How can I prove or disprove the statement "ab = 3k"?

The statement can be proven by finding specific values of a and b that satisfy the equation. On the other hand, it can be disproven by finding a counterexample, where the equation does not hold true for any values of a and b.

4. Can the statement "ab = 3k" be true for non-integer values of a or b?

No, the statement only applies to integer values of a and b. If either a or b is a non-integer, then the product ab will also be a non-integer and cannot be equal to a multiple of 3.

5. What is the importance of proving or disproving the statement "ab = 3k"?

The statement "ab = 3k" is a mathematical expression that can have many real-world applications, such as in algebraic equations or in the study of number theory. Proving or disproving this statement can help to further our understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.