Is there a Proof for the Rational Integral of x/(a^2+x^2)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the integral \int \frac{x}{a^2+x^2}dx = \frac{1}{2}\ln|a^2+x^2|+c, with one person asking for help and another person providing a solution using variable substitution. The solution is then verified through differentiation.
mazzo
Dear Forum,
I've been trying to find a proof for the following:

[tex]

\int \frac{x}{a^2+x^2}dx = \frac{1}{2}\ln|a^2+x^2|+c

[/tex]

After many hours I've resorted to asking for help - any ideas anyone?

cheers,
mazzo

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just want to check this, you can simply differentiate the right hand side and show that you get the integrand back.

If you want to calculate it (forgetting about the result for the time being), then you may notice that x is the derivative of 1/2(a2 + x2) and try a variable substitution u = a2 + x2.

thanks for this. But I found that when I substituted in this value for u it doesn't work. I tried
[tex]
x^2 = t
[/tex]

[tex]
2xdx = dt
[/tex]

[tex]
xdx = dt/2
[/tex]

then

[tex]
\int \frac{x}{a^2+x^2}dx = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dt}{(a^2+t)} = \frac{1}{2}\ln|a^2+x^2|+c
[/tex]

can I do the last step, is this correct ?

cheers,
mike

It is correct, if you differentiate the result you can check that your anti-derivative works. But I don't see how it logically follows, other than "educated guessing."

If you take my substitution (u = a2 + x2) your integral reduces to the elementary
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u} = \log|u|[/tex]
for which no guesswork is required.

What is a rational integral?

A rational integral is an integral where the integrand (the function being integrated) is a rational function, meaning it can be written as a ratio of two polynomials.

What is the process of proving a rational integral?

The process of proving a rational integral involves using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions to manipulate the integrand into a form that can be easily integrated. Then, the integral is solved using standard integration rules.

Why is it important to prove rational integrals?

Proving rational integrals is important because it allows us to find the exact value of an integral, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their relationships.

What are some common challenges when proving rational integrals?

One of the common challenges when proving rational integrals is finding the correct substitution or manipulation that will simplify the integrand. Another challenge is dealing with irrational or complex solutions, which may require additional techniques such as trigonometric identities.

How can I improve my skills in proving rational integrals?

To improve your skills in proving rational integrals, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different techniques and rules of integration. You can also seek guidance from textbooks, online resources, and experienced mathematicians. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and theory will help you approach and solve problems more effectively.