Proof regarding division of integers

In summary, we have proved that for any a, b, c \inZ, if a l b (a divides b) and a does not divide c, then a does not divide b-c.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

Prove that for any a, b, c [tex]\in[/tex][tex]Z[/tex], if a l b (a divides b) and a does not divide c, then a does not divide b-c.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the contrapositive:

Prove that... if a l (b-c) then a does not divide b or a l c.

1. a l (b-c), equivalent to: b-c=ax (for some x in Z)
2. b=ax+c
3. c=b-ax

(Now I am trying to work out the equations to get c=an, for some n in Z).

b-c=(ax+c)-(b-ax)=ax+c-b+ax = 2ax+c-b

that's where I get stuck. I keep fooling around with the algebra but can't seem to get the desired result.

p.s. a fellow classmate claims the result can/should be obtained by using cases, where b-c is odd or even... For the former I suppose (b-c)=2n, for some n in Z... I can't seem to make use of this information, and I'm not even sure he's correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for posting this question on the forum. Let me help you with solving this problem.

First, let's start with the given information: a l b (a divides b) and a does not divide c. This means that there exists some integer k such that b = ka and c is not equal to ka for any integer k.

Now, let's assume that a l (b-c). This means that there exists some integer m such that b-c = ma. We can rewrite this as b = ma + c.

Next, we can substitute the value of b into the given information: a l b. This gives us a l (ma + c). We can now factor out an 'a' from the right side of the equation: a l a(m + c/a). Since a does not divide c, we can rewrite the equation as a l a(m + c/a) implies a l a(m + c/a) implies a l m + c/a. This implies that a l m. However, this contradicts our initial assumption that a does not divide c. Therefore, our assumption that a l (b-c) is false and we can conclude that a does not divide b-c.

I hope this helps you in understanding how to prove this statement. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the proof for dividing two integers?

The proof for dividing two integers is based on the concept of multiplication. It states that when we divide two integers, we are actually finding the number that, when multiplied by the divisor, gives us the dividend. This number is known as the quotient.

2. How do we prove that dividing two integers gives a rational number?

To prove that dividing two integers gives a rational number, we can use the definition of rational numbers, which states that a number is rational if it can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Since dividing two integers always gives a quotient that is also an integer, we can express it as a fraction of two integers, thus proving that it is a rational number.

3. What is the proof for the division algorithm?

The division algorithm states that when we divide an integer by a non-zero integer, there will always be a unique quotient and remainder. The proof for this algorithm involves using the concept of division as repeated subtraction and using the properties of integers such as closure, commutativity, and associativity.

4. How do we prove that dividing by 0 is undefined?

The proof for why dividing by 0 is undefined is based on the fact that division is the inverse operation of multiplication. When we divide, we are essentially asking "what number multiplied by the divisor gives us the dividend?" However, there is no number that when multiplied by 0 gives us any non-zero number, making the operation undefined.

5. What is the proof for the division of integers by a negative number?

The proof for the division of integers by a negative number involves using the definition of division as repeated subtraction. It shows that dividing by a negative number is equivalent to multiplying by its reciprocal, which is a positive number. Therefore, the result of dividing an integer by a negative number will always be a negative number.