Why is proof shopping bad for you?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why shopping can be tiring for women, including the conditioning imposed by advertising agencies and the pressure to take advantage of deals. The speaker's sister-in-law is an example of someone who tends to buy unnecessary items while shopping. The conversation also mentions a study that links shopping to stress and a potential use of this information by the government. The speaker personally believes that shopping itself is not bad, but it can be harmful for one's finances.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/psp945883.pdf

I all ways wondered why women say how tiring shopping is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Partly, it's because they have not been able to resist the conditioning that the advertising agencies impose. I have a sister-in-law that does not go shopping just to get what she needs. She also spends time comparison shopping to figure out what the best deals are, and in the process she buys things that she doesn't need because "it was a good deal". If someone needs some potatoes, lettuce, cheese, a little meat, etc, and comes out of the store with a whole cart-full of stuff because the prices "looked good" or "it was lots cheaper than the lost time I was here", there are some false economies at work. Buying stuff that you don't want or need because you've bought into a store's roller-coaster pricing routines is silly, and it's stressful. My sister-in-law realizes that she's falling for the retailers' tricks, but she justifies her purchases by comparing what she paid for things to what they might have cost her if she had bought them previously. It's a sickness.

Experiment 2 is a little disturbing. Just imagine if the Bush administration gets ahold of this data. Detainees will be forced to shop before undergoing waterboarding.

I don't think that shopping itself is bad for you. It is certainly bad for your pocketbook though.

wildman said:
I don't think that shopping itself is bad for you. It is certainly bad for your pocketbook though.

I only go shopping when i know what i want and have a reasonable idea where to get it,
just going into a town is stressful.

What is proof shopping?

Proof shopping refers to the practice of selectively choosing data or evidence to support a preconceived conclusion or belief, rather than objectively evaluating all available evidence.

Why is proof shopping bad for you?

Proof shopping can lead to biased and inaccurate conclusions, as it ignores evidence that may contradict the desired outcome. It also undermines the scientific method, which relies on unbiased and thorough evaluation of evidence.

How can proof shopping be avoided?

To avoid proof shopping, scientists should approach research with an open mind and be willing to consider all evidence, even if it goes against their initial hypothesis. Peer review and replication of studies can also help identify and prevent proof shopping.

What are the consequences of proof shopping?

The consequences of proof shopping can include misleading or false conclusions, which can have negative impacts on society. It also erodes the trust in scientific research and can hinder progress and innovation.

Are there any benefits to proof shopping?

While proof shopping may seem to support one's beliefs or ideas, it ultimately undermines the integrity of scientific research and can lead to erroneous conclusions. It is important for scientists to remain objective and avoid proof shopping in order to maintain the credibility of their work.