1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof/Show using index laws

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the following can be expressed as a quadratic equation

[tex]2^{x}-1 = \frac{2}{2^{x}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Show that the quadratic has only one real solution at [itex]x = 1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, my biggest problem is the main part of the task, converting the equation into a quadratic. I cannot find a way to get the same base for all parts of the equation so I can equate them. I've tried doing things like:
    -Taking the denominator to the top on the RHS and making [itex]1 = 2^{0}[/itex]
    - Squaring both sides of the equation, although I can get a quadratic out of this method, technically I haven't proved anything, just made the equation look a little fancier.
    - taking the -1 to the other side and adding it in the form of [itex]\frac{2^{x}}{2^{x}}[/itex]

And others too, but those were the ones which actually led me somewhere (but that somewhere was a dead end).

Can anyone give me any hints on how to approach a question like this?

ps. I've also tried not to assume x = 1 while doing my conversion to a quadratic.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The 2^x in the denominator doesn't look too helpful in that position, so make it look nicer and multiply throughout by 2^x :wink:

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Much the same thing: replace each "[itex]2^x[/itex]" with "y" and then multiply both sides by y.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4
    I tried the multiply y to both sides, but I end up getting something like this:

[itex]\frac{2^{2x}-2^{x}}{2^{x}}=\frac{2^{x+1}}{2^{2x}}[/itex]

Which is where I get stuck again. Although I get a quadratic when I sub in the y, when I revert it back to [itex]2^{x}[/itex], the function becomes a plain old exponential function.

If I split the LHS at the "-" I'll still get the pesky -1 and ending up cancelling out one of the x, which put me at a dead end :cry:

How do I proceed?

6. Mar 2, 2013 #5
    Hey you did the multiplication wrong! ##2^{x+1}##??

It should be: ##2^{2x}-2^x=2##. Now a simple substitution of 2x=y will give you a quadratic equation..

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6
    I multiplied both sides by
    [itex]\frac{2^{x}}{2^{x}}[/itex] that's how I got that result

Yeah but is that really a quadratic equation? or an exponential function in disguise. Because if I have my quadratic in terms of y, as soon as I sub in [itex]2^{x}[/itex] it turns into an exponential function. I checked this by graphing it, and it does not pass through x = 1

I graphed:
    [itex]2^{2x}-2^{x}+2 = y[/itex]

8. Mar 2, 2013 #7
    No! You don't have to graph that.
    Solve: ##y^2-y-2=0##, where y=2x..

Then you get 2 values for ##2^x##, using which you can prove the next part of the question.

9. Mar 2, 2013 #8
    Ohhh... I didn't even think of that :biggrin: I think I've got this now.

Thank you, you've made my day :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted