Stumped on Schwarz Lemma - Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter asi123
  • Start date
In summary, The problem involves finding a way to apply the Schwarz lemma to a function that is not directly applicable. It is related to an automorphism of the unit disk and can be solved using a theorem and the Schwarz Lemma. The solution involves proving that the function has a specific form by using the Schwarz Lemma in two different ways.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

I've been sitting on this one for an hour or so. (got nothing)

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/765/24869754.png

I think it has something to do with schwarz lemma but I'm not sure.

Any help will be much appreciate.

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is related to the Schwarz lemma, but its not directly applicable as we are not given f(0)=0. However, the function you have in an automorphism of the unit disk, and there's a way to "bring it back" to Schwarz's lemma.

Theorem: Let [itex]f:D \to D[/itex] be an analytic automorphism of the unit disc and suppose [itex]f(\alpha) = 0[/itex]. Then there exists a real number [itex]\theta[/itex] such that:

[tex]f(z) = \exp(i\theta) \frac{\alpha - z}{1-\overline{\alpha}z}[/tex]

Start of proof:

Let [tex]g=g_{\alpha}[/tex] be the above automorphism. Then [tex]h(w) = f(g^{-1}(w))[/tex] is an automorphism of the unit disc and maps 0 to 0. It suffices to prove h(w) has the form [tex]\exp(i\theta) w[/tex].

To prove that, use the Schwarz Lemma in two different ways.

1. What is the Schwarz Lemma?

The Schwarz Lemma is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if f is a holomorphic function from the open unit disk to itself, and f(0) = 0, then |f(z)| ≤ |z| for all z in the disk, and if equality holds for some nonzero z, then f(z) = cz for some unimodular complex number c.

2. How is the Schwarz Lemma used?

The Schwarz Lemma is used to prove many important results in complex analysis, such as the Riemann mapping theorem, and has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of conformal mappings and the geometry of surfaces.

3. What is the significance of the Schwarz Lemma?

The Schwarz Lemma is significant because it provides a powerful tool for studying holomorphic functions and their properties. It also has important implications in the study of complex geometry and topology.

4. Are there any limitations to the Schwarz Lemma?

One limitation of the Schwarz Lemma is that it only applies to functions defined on the open unit disk in the complex plane. It also does not hold for functions defined on other domains.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Schwarz Lemma?

The Schwarz Lemma has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of optimal control systems.