1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof subset?

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    Proof subset????

Given three sets A, B, and C, set X = (A-B) U (B-C) U (C-A) and
    Y = (A∩B∩C) complement C. Prove that X is subset of Y. Is Y necessarily a subset of X? If yes, prove it. If no, why???
    ---When I draw the two venn diagrams X and Y, they are the same, but I don't know how to prove it...

Can someone help me out here...
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual proof for such a statement is: Let x be an element from X and try to prove that it is also an element of Y. So if x is in X, you know that it is in A but not in B, and/or it is in B but not in C, and/or it is in C but not in A. You want to show that it must be in (A∩B∩C)C. If it is in (A∩B∩C) then it would be in A and B and C, so it being in the complement means it is at least not in A or not in B or not in C. So you could suppose it is both in A and B and show that it cannot be in C.

So let me write this out in the right order:
    Let [itex]x \in X[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]x \in A, x \in B[/itex]. Then definitely, [itex]x \not\in A - B, x \not\in C - A[/itex], because if it is in A it cannot be in any set from which we remove all elements of A (and similarly for B). But it must be in one or more of (A-B), (B-C) and (C-A), so it must be in (B - C). That is, x is in B (which we knew) but not in C. So if x is not in C, it cannot be in the intersection of C with whatever set you make up. In particular, it is not in [itex]A \cap B \cap C[/itex]. Therefore, it must be in the complement of that set, which is called Y.

Now try to do the same reasoning for [itex]Y \subset X[/itex]. You have already shown by your Venn diagram that if x lies in Y, it must lie in X. So try to prove it in the same way as I just did.

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot !!!!!

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is, however, a technical problem with "Let [itex]x \in X[/itex]"- the proof collapses is X is empty. Far better to start "IF [itex]x \in X[/itex]". That way, if X is empty, the hypothesis is false and the theorem is trivially true.

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right, obviously the empty set is a subset of any set S (vacuously, all its elements are also in S).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?