Proving Taylor Series: Maclaurin vs. Taylor

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Taylor series and its relation to Maclaurin series. There is a debate about the best way to prove it, with some mentioning the use of Cauchy's Integral Formula. The general result is also mentioned, which states that a class C^n function on (a,b) is continuously differentiable n times and has a polynomial T_n(x) that approximates the function with a small error. Various proofs are mentioned, including an elegant one using complex analysis.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
How does one prove taylor series? Is it proven the same way as Maclaurin's Series(Which i know is a special case of taylor series)

[tex]f(x)=A_0+A_1x+A_2x^2+A_3x^3+...[/tex]
[tex]f(\alpha)=A_0+A_1\alpha+A_2(\alpha)^2+A_3(\alpha)^3+...[/tex]

this kinda doesn't seem like a good way to prove it...as that is how I know how to prove maclaurin series

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you state precisely what is "it" that you are trying to prove?

If I understand your problem, f(g(x))=f(x-a) is just as differentiable as f is. Although, the logical approach taught in analysis courses is to prove Taylor's theorem and then the result about Maclaurin series holds at a=0.

I'm not even sure if you prove the result for Maclaurin series without implicitly proving Taylor series.

Last edited:
Well I am trying to show that if a function is differentiable at x=a
then f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+f''(a)(x-a)^2/2!+...
I never learned Taylor series...but I was yet shown Maclaurin's series and how to prove it without know that maclaurin's series is just a special case of Taylor series

rock.freak667 said:
Well I am trying to show that if a function is differentiable at x=a
then f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+f''(a)(x-a)^2/2!+...
I never learned Taylor series...but I was yet shown Maclaurin's series and how to prove it without know that maclaurin's series is just a special case of Taylor series

The Taylor series is not so easy as it looks. The general result is the following.

First, a class [tex]C^n[/tex] function on [tex](a,b)[/tex] (with [tex]a<0<b[/tex]) is continously differentiable [tex]n[/tex] times. Then the polynomial [tex]T_n(x) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} \frac{f^{(j)}(0)}{j!}x^j[/tex] has the property that the error, i.e. [tex]R_n(x) = f(x) - T_n(x)[/tex] satisfies [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{R_n(x)}{x^n} = 0[/tex]. This is a result which becomes of theoretic important.

Wikipedia's article on Taylor Series has several different proofs, I'm sure you can read them there. The simplest one by memory was the integration by parts one.

I didnt see any proofs when i checked it

EDIT:I see it ...thanks

Well Taylor series is a simple consequence of Cauchy's Integral formula. That is if you allow a complex analysis based proof(real ones aren't all that elegant).
For any analytic function f(z), represent with the integral formula for any suitable disc centred at say a and expand the denominator in a geometric series such that the intgration variable isn't caught up in it. Seperate the integral inside the sum and there's your Taylor coefficient. The fact that this is a higher derivative of the original function is again a simple consequence of the Cauchy Integral Formula(which isn't terribly difficult to prove using Cauchy's theorem once you understand the basic notions of holomorphism)

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate a function at a given point and is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor.

What is the difference between a Maclaurin series and a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where the point of approximation is at x=0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series with a=0. This makes the calculations simpler and allows for easier analysis of a function near the origin point.

How do you prove a Taylor series?

To prove a Taylor series, we use the Taylor's theorem, which states that any infinitely differentiable function can be approximated by a polynomial of sufficiently high degree. The proof involves taking the derivatives of the function at the given point and using them to construct the terms of the series.

Why is the Taylor series approximation important?

The Taylor series approximation is important because it allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler polynomial function. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function, especially near a specific point. It is also used in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and computer science.

What are some real-world applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series is used in many real-world applications, including calculating the value of mathematical constants like pi and e, approximating solutions to differential equations, and analyzing the behavior of functions in physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces in 3D modeling and animation.