Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Taylor Series

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

How does one prove taylor series? Is it proven the same way as Maclaurin's Series(Which i know is a special case of taylor series)

[tex]f(x)=A_0+A_1x+A_2x^2+A_3x^3+...[/tex]
    [tex]f(\alpha)=A_0+A_1\alpha+A_2(\alpha)^2+A_3(\alpha)^3+...[/tex]

this kinda doesnt seem like a good way to prove it...as that is how I know how to prove maclaurin series

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you state precisely what is "it" that you are trying to prove?

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    If I understand your problem, f(g(x))=f(x-a) is just as differentiable as f is. Although, the logical approach taught in analysis courses is to prove Taylor's theorem and then the result about Maclaurin series holds at a=0.

I'm not even sure if you prove the result for Maclaurin series without implicitly proving Taylor series.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. Oct 26, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I am trying to show that if a function is differentiable at x=a
    then f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+f''(a)(x-a)^2/2!+...
    I never learned Taylor series...but I was yet shown Maclaurin's series and how to prove it without know that maclaurin's series is just a special case of Taylor series

6. Oct 26, 2007 #5
    The Taylor series is not so easy as it looks. The general result is the following.

First, a class [tex]C^n[/tex] function on [tex](a,b)[/tex] (with [tex]a<0<b[/tex]) is continously differentiable [tex]n[/tex] times. Then the polynomial [tex]T_n(x) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} \frac{f^{(j)}(0)}{j!}x^j[/tex] has the property that the error, i.e. [tex]R_n(x) = f(x) - T_n(x)[/tex] satisfies [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{R_n(x)}{x^n} = 0[/tex]. This is a result which becomes of theoretic important.

7. Oct 26, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Wikipedia's article on Taylor Series has several different proofs, I'm sure you can read them there. The simplest one by memory was the integration by parts one.

8. Oct 26, 2007 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I didnt see any proofs when i checked it

EDIT:I see it ...thanks

9. Nov 5, 2007 #8
    Well Taylor series is a simple consequence of Cauchy's Integral formula. That is if you allow a complex analysis based proof(real ones aren't all that elegant).
    For any analytic function f(z), represent with the integral formula for any suitable disc centred at say a and expand the denominator in a geometric series such that the intgration variable isn't caught up in it. Seperate the integral inside the sum and there's your Taylor coefficient. The fact that this is a higher derivative of the original function is again a simple consequence of the Cauchy Integral Formula(which isn't terribly difficult to prove using Cauchy's theorem once you understand the basic notions of holomorphism)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?