1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that AI_n = A

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to prove AI_n = A for my linear algebra class:

## A = (a_{st}) ##
    where ## 1 \leq s \leq m ## and ## 1 \leq t \leq n ##

then ## (AI_n)_{sk} = \displaystyle\sum_{t=1}^n a_{st}(I_n)_{tk} = \displaystyle\sum_{t=1}^n a_{st}\delta_{tk} ##

we know that most of ## \delta_{tk} = 0 ## from the definition,

therefore

##\displaystyle\sum_{t=1}^n a_{st}\delta_{tk} = a_{sk}\delta_{kk} + \displaystyle\sum_{t\not=k} a_{st}\delta_{tk} = a_{sk}(1) + 0 = a_{sk} ##
    I don't understand the final bit of the proof, we start with defining A = a_{st}, and we end up with a_{sk}, how is this equivalent?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which part don't you understand?
    1. ##\sum_t a_{st}\delta_{tk} = a_{sk}\delta_{kk} + \sum_{t\ne k} a_{st}\delta_{tk}##
    2. ##a_{sk}\delta_{kk} + \sum_{t\ne k} a_{st}\delta_{tk} = a_{sk}(1) + 0##
    3. ##a_{sk}(1) + 0 = a_{sk}##

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    the second one, i.e. how you get from 1. to ##a_{sk}\delta_{kk} ## how does the t change to a k? for a and delta, am I righ tin thinking it's because of the deifnition of matrix multiplication?

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first step is just taking one specific term out of the sum, the term for which t=k. This results in ##\sum_t a_{st}\delta_{tk} = a_{sk}\delta_{kk} + \sum_{t\ne k} a_{st}\delta_{tk}##.

The second step merely replaces the value of the Kronecker delta with its value. The value of ##\delta_{kk}## in first term, ##a_{sk}\delta_{kk}##, is just one. The second term is the sum ##\sum_{t\ne k} a_{st}\delta_{tk}##, and here ##\delta_{tk}## is identically zero since ##\delta_{tk}=0## for all t ≠ k.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
  7. Oct 4, 2013 #6
    anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted