1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that SU(n) is a group

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the set of all ##n \times n## unitary matrices with unit determinant forms a group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For two unitary matrices ##U_{1}## and ##U_{2}## with unit determinant, det(##U_{1}U_{2}##) = det(##U_{1}##)det(##U_{2}##) = 1.

So, closure is obeyed.

Matrix multiplication is associative.

The identity matrix is unitary with unit determinant.

For a unitary matrix ##U_{1}## with unit determinant, 1 = det(##U_{1}U_{1}^{-1}##) = det(##(U_{1}##)det(##U_{1})^{-1}##) = det(##U_{1})^{-1}##).

Therefore, the inverse exists.

Am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Your first version was better. You just had to add that 1 is unitary and unitary matrices are invertible.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    How does the fact that 1 is unitary prove anything? :frown:

Same goes for the fact that the unitary matrices are invertible.

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4

fresh_42

You need to have 1 inside the group. And you showed that the inverse is unitary. What you did not show was, that the inverse exists at all. Of course it does, since det U cannot be zero. (As I said, it was almost perfect already. These 2 facts I mentioned are a little sophisticated I admit. But in a strong sense it has to be mentioned.)

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5
    Do I need to have 1 in the group because it is the identity element? Is that what you mean?

7. Nov 6, 2015 #6

fresh_42

Yes. I meant the unity matrix with 1. It all depends on your definition of SU(n). If you require SU(n) ⊂ GL(n) to be "the set of all invertible (n x n) matrices that ..." then you're done with the inverse element by showing it is unitary. If you require SU(n) ⊂ M(n) to be "the set of any (n x n) matrices that ..." then it's not clear a priori that unitary matrices are invertible. Perhaps U^-1 doesn't exits. You perfectly have done the hard part and showed that if it exists, then it has to be unitary, i.e. within the group. The existence hasn't been mentioned. I mean there are matrices that cannot be inverted.
    The existence of the unitary matrix, the 1 in GL(n) is clear. Of course it is also unitary so 1 is even in SU(n). Just mention it. Otherwise you would have a 1 but not as part of the group. It has to be - an clearly is - in the group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted