Proof That the Universe is Electrically Neutral

In summary, there is evidence that the universe is electrically neutral on large scales, with gravity being the dominant force. While there is no specific theory stating this, it is generally accepted as a fact. The ionization of the intergalactic medium does not affect the overall charge of the universe, as it only refers to the separation of positive and negative particles. There is no significant observational evidence to suggest that the universe is not neutral, and the sun is an example of a mostly ionized object that is still overall neutral. Therefore, the assertion that the universe is electrically neutral is widely agreed upon in the scientific community.
Okay I am with you 100% so far. And the point I am trying to make is not that the universe is not charge neutral (I have zero evidence for that). I am trying to find out if anyone has been able to make an estimate, quantitatively, of the degree of charge separation due to cosmic ray radiation.

For example, let us say that Supernova A is generating cosmic rays. Where are all the electrons and how many of them are there? And how about other supenovi and other sources, etc etc. This must add up to some degree of "non-isotopy" of charge in the universe, if you will. Is the consensus that even this is negligible? How negligible? In human terms, it has to be huge.

Space news on Phys.org
The things that produce cosmic rays and distributed evenly throughout space and on average fire the cosmic rays that they produce at the same rate in all directions. Thus for any given region of space the amount of charge leaving due to cosmic rays is equal to the charge entering, so there is no generation of large regions with an overall net charge. In any case the actual amount of material in the Universe is the form of cosmic rays is a minuscule amount compared to the overall density.

Was charge-neutrality of the universe an accident or is it a prediction of Big Bang theory?

cadnr said:
Was charge-neutrality of the universe an accident or is it a prediction of Big Bang theory?

It is a consequence of gauge symmetry. If such symmetry was broken in the early universe, then big bang nucleosynthesis still suggests strict bounds on the amount of possible charge nonconservation.

Last edited:
But quarks and leptons formed at different times. Or is that not important?

I am curious. If the universe created an excess of normal matter over anti matter could it be possible that it created an excess of electrons over protons? If excess electrons were gravitationally attracted to galaxies and formed a halo which can not collapse completely because of electrostatic repulsion, woud the effect be the same as having dark matter in galaxies? Would such a cloud of electrons be detectable by the scattering or whatever that it has on light coming from distant stars and galaxies? Just an idle thought. I haven't really worked it out ;)