Proof that Variation of Integral is Equal to Integral of the Variation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct use of the symbol ##\delta## and its meaning as a change in a function. The proof is provided for the equation ##\delta (\int_a^b F(x)dx) = \delta (F(b)-F(a))## and it is noted that the integration variable is not what is being varied.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I need to proof that $$\delta(\int_a^b F(x)dx)=\int_a^b\delta F(x)dx$$
Relevant Equations
The variation comes from the calculus of variation. For a given path the extremum occcurs on $$\delta I=\delta \int_{x_1}^{x_2}f (y,y';x) dx=0$$
I actually don't know how to proceed.

I tried something like this

The left side of the equation equals to $$\delta(\int_a^b F(x)dx)=\delta f(x) |_{a}^{b}$$
where ##f'(x)=F(x)##

However $$\delta f(x) |_{a}^{b}=f'(x)\delta x dx|_{a}^{b} = \delta (F(b)-F(a))$$

where ##f'(x)=F(x)##. For the right side of the equation can I say that
$$\int_a^b\delta F(x)dx = \int_a^b F'(x)\delta x dx = \delta (F(b)-F(a))$$

Is this true ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're confused. The ##\delta## doesn't mean a derivative, so you can't write ##\delta f = f' \delta x dx##.

The ##\delta## just means a change. Not a change as a function of ##x##, but a change in the entire function. Imagine that you have two functions, an original function, ##F(x)##, and a slightly different function ##\overline{F}(x)##. Then ##\delta F(x) = \overline{F}(x) - F(x)##. ##\delta ( \int F(x) dx) = \int \overline{F}(x) dx - \int F(x) dx##. So you're just asking to prove that:

##\int \overline{F}(x) dx - \int F(x) dx = \int (\overline{F}(x) - F(x)) dx##

Likes Delta2, Arman777 and Orodruin
oh I see. In examples such as for ##F(x)=x^2## we are writing ##\delta F(x) = 2x\delta x## So I thought I can apply it here.

From your last equation it seems that prove is finished since its just the sum rule of the integration

Typically, the integration variable is not what is being varied. What is being varied is usually the function that the functional depends on.

Likes Arman777
Arman777 said:
oh I see. In examples such as for ##F(x)=x^2## we are writing ##\delta F(x) = 2x\delta x## So I thought I can apply it here.

Well ##\delta## means a difference in two values. Sometimes it means the difference between the same function at two different points, and sometimes it means the difference between two different functions at the same point. The latter is what is meant here.

Likes Arman777

1. What is the proof that variation of integral is equal to integral of the variation?

The proof is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the difference of its antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. In the case of variation of integral, we are considering a function that depends on a parameter, and the integral of this function with respect to the parameter is equal to the difference of its antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of the parameter.

2. Can you explain the concept of variation of integral in simpler terms?

Variation of integral is a mathematical concept that deals with the change in the value of an integral as a parameter varies. It is similar to the concept of differentiation, where we consider the change in the value of a function as its input variable changes, but in this case, we are looking at the change in the value of an integral as its parameter changes.

3. How is the proof of variation of integral related to the chain rule?

The proof of variation of integral involves using the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions. In the case of variation of integral, we are considering a function that depends on a parameter, and by applying the chain rule, we can show that the variation of the integral is equal to the integral of the variation.

4. What are the applications of the proof of variation of integral?

The proof of variation of integral has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the field of calculus of variations, which deals with finding the optimal curve or function that minimizes or maximizes a certain integral. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the study of motion and energy in physics.

5. Is the proof of variation of integral applicable to all types of integrals?

Yes, the proof of variation of integral is applicable to all types of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. It is a general concept that can be applied to any integral that depends on a parameter. However, the specific steps of the proof may vary depending on the type of integral and the function being integrated.