Proof that's missing a step

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the equation to show that c(0) = \sigma^{2} is c(0) = \frac{1}{N}\sum y(i)y(i) and the rest of the steps follow from there.
ƒ(x)

Homework Statement

Show that

c(0) = [itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

c([itex]\ell[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{1}{N-\ell}[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] y[itex]_{i}[/itex]y[itex]_{i+\ell}[/itex], with the summation going from i=1 to N-[itex]\ell[/itex]

y(i) = x(i)-[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex]x(i)

[itex]\langle[/itex]x2[itex]\rangle[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex]x(i)2

Edit: the other summations go from 1 to N

Edit: forgot sigma

[itex]\sigma[/itex]2 = ([itex]\langle[/itex]x2[itex]\rangle[/itex]-[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex])/(N-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

c(0) = [itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex]y(i)y(i)
= [itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex](x(i)2-2x(i)[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]+[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]2)
= [itex]\langle[/itex]x2[itex]\rangle[/itex]-2[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]2+[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]2
= [itex]\langle[/itex]x2[itex]\rangle[/itex]-[itex]\langle[/itex]x[itex]\rangle[/itex]2
Where did I mess up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you forgot to include the sigma in your equation for c(0). It should be c(0) = \sigma^{2} instead of c(0) = \langlex2\rangle-\langlex\rangle2. This is because \sigma^{2} is the variance, which is what c(0) represents. Also, in your second line, it should be y(i) instead of x(i). Other than those two errors, the rest of your solution looks correct.

1. What is "proof that's missing a step"?

"Proof that's missing a step" refers to a mathematical or scientific proof that is not fully complete or contains an error in one of its steps. This means that the conclusion of the proof may not be entirely valid or proven.

2. How can you tell if a proof is missing a step?

There are a few ways to tell if a proof is missing a step. One way is to carefully examine each step of the proof and see if there are any gaps or errors. Another way is to compare the proof to other known proofs of the same concept and see if there are any missing steps or discrepancies.

3. Why is it important to have a complete proof?

A complete proof is important because it ensures the validity and accuracy of a mathematical or scientific concept. Without a complete proof, the conclusion may not be fully proven and could potentially lead to incorrect assumptions or conclusions.

4. How can a missing step in a proof be fixed?

If a missing step is identified in a proof, it can be fixed by carefully examining the proof and finding the error or gap in logic. The missing step can then be added or corrected to ensure the proof is complete and valid.

5. Are there any common reasons for a proof to be missing a step?

Yes, there are a few common reasons for a proof to be missing a step. These include errors in calculations, gaps in logical reasoning, or assumptions that are not fully proven or explained. It is important to carefully review and check a proof before considering it complete.