Proof the Bible is God's Word

• Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date
Zero
Sad, how the 'king' has fallen. You were right the first time, and if you had been in a predominantly Hindo, Muslim, or Buddhist country, that is what you would have converted to. :wink:

Don't take this the wrong way, but were you in AA, rehab, or prison, or had you suffered a recent trauma?

Originally posted by Laser Eyes
So how did the king of all atheists do an about turn? It was as simple as this. One day I decided to open my mind to the possibility that God exists. That's it. That's all it took. The moment I did that I knew that there was a God. Absolute certainty. Nothing supernatural, nothing spiritual about it. I didn't change my mind based on this argument or that argument. No-one else was involved. All that happened was I was willing to accept the possibility that I might be wrong, just the possibility mind you, nothing more than that. But I completely opened my mind, no holding on to anything that went before. I was willing to believe there was a God and deal with whatever consequences there might be. I think I did it because I realised that I had been believing there was no God based on nothing. I had never proven to myself that there was no God and no-one else had proven it to me. I had adopted atheism out of convenience. It was probably one of the more humble things I've done.
That's a very good story, and that's about what it takes too. :wink:

Originally posted by Tsunami
Don't ASK me how that got in there twice... I haven't a clue. But I'm quite certain it was operator error, somehow.:wink:
If you would like to delete a post, just click on "edit" in the bottom right-hand corner of the post, and when the screen opens up go up to the top and select the delete "box" on the left and click on the delete "button" on the right, and that should take care of it. :smile:

Originally posted by Laser Eyes
Radagast, you ceratainly haven't said anything that suggests you have been less than honest at all. ...
I appreciate the apology. After I posted I realized you probably were more targetted at a particular person than all who disagreed with you.

It's a good point about looking at the arguments from a non-believer's point of view. I really hadn't looked at them like that and it's a little difficult for me to do now. The arguments probably wouldn't have convinced me of anything either when I was an atheist.
Seeing another's POV is always difficult. When religious folk come to the door, I always invite them in to discuss religion. Not to have an argument, but to see what they believe. I hope to always challenge the way I think and make sure I keep my mind open and thinking. Though I don't hide that I don't share their beliefs, I also don't try to make it an issue. I have been quite amazed that most are not the stereotypical, closed minded, religious types, but can see that others can have a valid, but differing point of view.

megashawn
Science Advisor
Well first off let me tell you that I was the king of all atheists.
Seems like rather weak arguements coming from a king of atheists.

I've never shutdown the possibility of a god. I just truly believe that the god of the bible cannot be responsible for this life, with the claims made about him/nature. Then the contradictions, atrocities, etc, make my stomach turn to be honest.

When I say something like, "God should just show himself" it doesn't have to be a physical appearance. If god is so powerfull, and is everywhere, why can't he whisper the same thing in everyones ear?