1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof the internal pressure is 0 for an ideal gas and ((n^2)a)/(v^2) for a Van der Wa

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    Like in the other problem I posted- This is the other question that I missed and just can't find a solution for.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the internal pressure is 0 for an ideal gas and ((n^2)a)/(v^2) for a Van der Waals gas.

2. Relevant equations
    1. VdQ Eqn: p= (nRT)/(v-b) - ((n^2)a)/(v^2)
    2. (partial S/partial V) for constant T = (partial p/partial T) for contant V.
    3. dU = TdS - pdV
    4. pi sub t (internal pressure) = (partial U/partial V) for constant T

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Ideal Gas
    0 = (partial U/partial V) for const T
    int 0 dv = int du
    0 = int (TdS - pdV)
    int p dv = int T ds
    int (nRT/v) dv = int (Pv/nR) dS
    nRT x int(1/V) dv = pv/nR x int 1 dS
    ... and I get kind of lost here, though I know that what I've already done is wrong.. :(

b) VdW gas
    I actual have to get going to school, but I'll come back and type up what i've done (incorrectly :( for this part afterwards).
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    Hello Jennifer,

I suppose you are given the so called thermal equation of state [itex]p=p(T,V,n)[/itex] for both

the ideal gas

and the Van der Waals gas

The inner pressure [itex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T[/itex] can be calculated after finding the so called caloric equation of state [itex]U=U(T,V,n)[/itex] for both cases.

Another straightforward method would be to use the following identity which shows that the caloric and thermal equations of state are not independent of each other:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T=T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V-p[/tex]

Do you know how to derive this identity?
  4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    I think so..
    [tex]\Pi[/tex]t = [tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]v for constant t
    = ( 1/[tex]\partial[/tex]v[tex]\times[/tex](Tds - pdv) )
    = T [tex]\times[/tex] ([tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]t) - p

I think that's right. I still don't know how to get from that Maxwell relation to the ideal gas and Van der Waals eqn, though.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. Feb 28, 2008 #4
    Ok, I think I figured it out, from my previous post (sorry- im still getting used to using the tools for math on this board) I replace the vanderwaals eqn into P in my partial p and then just solve from there.
  6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    Thanks everyone!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?