Solved: Prove Thery Exercise: 5m + 6, 5n + 6 = 5k + 6

In summary, at step 3, the student was expecting the problem to be much longer than it actually was. Once they realized it wasn't, they got stuck. However, with the help of another user, they were able to solve the problem.
cannibal
[SOLVED] Proof Thery Exercise

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement, where m and n are integers:

If x = 5m + 6 and y = 5n + 6, then xy = 5k + 6 for some integer k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

X = 5 m + 6, Y = 5 n + 6
X * Y = (5 m + 6) * (5 n + 6)
X * Y = (25 mn + 30 m + 30 n + 36)
5k + 6 = (25 mn + 30 m + 30 n + 36)
5k = (25 mn + 30 m + 30 n + 36) - 6
5k = (25 mn + 30 m + 30 n + 30)
k = (5mn + 6m + 6n + 6)
5k + 6 = 5 (5mn + 6m + 6n + 6) + 6

I am stuck, maybe its with another method like "Contradiction or Contrapositive" proof, any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go all the way back to your third step:

If you obtained xy=(25mn+30m+30n+36) for integer m and n, can you rewrite the righthand side in terms of 5k+6 for some integer k? Your last step essentially does this.

At step 4, you decided to assume what you wanted to be true and then proceeded from there without finding a contradiction so you got stuck.

cannibal said:
X = 5 m + 6, Y = 5 n + 6
X * Y = (5 m + 6) * (5 n + 6)
X * Y = (25 mn + 30 m + 30 n + 36)

Hi cannibal! :smile:

I think you're frightened of mathematical proofs, and you're expecting them to be much longer than they really are.

So when you got to line 3, which is really the end, you thought "it can't be this easy", and you just carried on going … :rolleyes:

All you had to do was add:

"So X*Y = 5k + 6, where k is the integer 5mn + 6m + 6n + 6." :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi cannibal! :smile:

I think you're frightened of mathematical proofs, and you're expecting them to be much longer than they really are.

So when you got to line 3, which is really the end, you thought "it can't be this easy", and you just carried on going … :rolleyes:

All you had to do was add:

"So X*Y = 5k + 6, where k is the integer 5mn + 6m + 6n + 6." :smile:

Oh i see, in i was really expecting the problem to be much longer, that is why i got stuck, Thank you very much for your help "tiny-tim" and "jhicks".

:approve:

1. What is the objective of this exercise?

The objective of this exercise is to prove the given theory using mathematical equations and principles.

2. How do I approach this problem?

You can approach this problem by first identifying the variables and their relationships in the given equation, and then using algebraic manipulation and logic to prove the theory.

3. Can I use any mathematical principles or theorems to solve this?

Yes, you can use any relevant mathematical principles or theorems to solve this. Some common ones that may be helpful include the distributive property, commutative property, and substitution property.

4. What if I get a different answer than the one provided?

If you get a different answer than the one provided, double check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps and principles. It is also a good idea to check your work with a calculator or ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve the equations?

There is no specific order in which you must solve the equations, but it is important to follow the basic rules of algebra and maintain the equality of the equation throughout your calculations.