1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Proof Tips?

Tags:
  1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    Every math major eventually learns logic and standard proof techniques. For example, to show that a rigorous statement [itex]P[/itex] implies statement [itex]Q[/itex], we suppose the statement [itex]P[/itex] is true and use that to show [itex]Q[/itex] is true. This, along with the other general proof techniques are very broad. A math major would soon come to realize that there are some nuances of proofs that vary among the different subjects. For example, in real analysis, a possible way to show that two real-valued objects are equal is to show that neither can be less than or greater than the other. What proof tips (could be as specific as you'd like) could you provide?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2
    There may be lots of different ways, and in special cases, may be more. Generally we all know we can prove ##~Q\Rightarrow ~P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q.##
    In analysis, there are many tricky(?) estimations...which I always can appreciate...

4. Mar 5, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

At first I thought you had written something that wasn't true in general, but after seeing the LaTeX you wrote, I understand what you meant.
    Here's the corrected version:
    prove ## \neg Q\Rightarrow \neg P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q.##

I used \neg for the logical negation symbol. You can also use \sim, which renders as a ~ character.

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4
    Yes, I didn't mind that until your remind haha. Thanks a lot!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted