Assigning Grades for Mathematical Proofs: A, C, or F - Explanation Included

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about assigning grades to proofs based on their correctness. The claim is that if A, B, and C are sets and A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A is a subset of C. The given proof is deemed correct and worthy of an A grade, with the only suggestion being to use "assume" instead of "let" to start the proof. The conversation also discusses the possibility of A being empty and how that is handled in the proof.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

Assign a grade of A (excellent) if the claim and proof are correct, even if the proof is not the simplest or the proof you would have given. Assign an F (failure) if the claim is incorrect, if the main idea of the proof is incorrect, or if most of the statements in it are incorrect. Assign a grade of C (partial credit) for a proof that is largely correct, but contains one or two incorrect statements or justifications. Whenever the proof is incorrect, explain your grade. Tell what is incorrect and why.

Claim: If A, B, and C are sets, and [tex] A \subseteq B [/tex] and [tex] B \subseteq C [/tex], then [tex] A \subseteq C [/tex].

Proof: Suppose x is any object. If [tex] x \in A [/tex], then [tex] x \in B [/tex], since [tex]A \subseteq B [/tex]. If [tex] x \in B [/tex], then [tex] x \in C [/tex], since [tex] B \subseteq C [/tex]. Therefore [tex] x \in C [/tex]. Therefore [tex] A \subseteq C [/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I correct in wanting to give this proof a grade of an A, even if the language seems a bit shaky?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there are no incorrect statements or justifications right?

You would just have stated it a bit more...rigorous?

It seems like it deserves an A though.

Well I would have said.

Proof: Let [tex] x \in A [/tex]. Since [tex] A \subseteq B [/tex], [tex]x \in B[/tex]. Similarly, since [tex] B \subseteq C [/tex], [tex] x \in C [/tex]. Hence, [tex] A \subseteq C [/tex].

I guess they are the same though.

Jacobpm64, there is a slight problem with your 'way of saying it'. You start by saying "let [itex] x \in A [/itex]". What happens if A is empty? You would need to either include a separate (very simple) proof for the case that A is empty or start with "If [itex] x \in A [/itex]" as was done in the given proof. That way, if A is empty, the hypothesis is false and the implication is "vacuously true".

I also disagree - as you say yourself, Halls, when the precedent is false the implication is true. How can there be a problem there?

The only thing I might do with Jacobpm64's proof is changing the word "let" to "assume". "Let" suggests the thing you're doing is known to be possible, while "assume" is more hypothetical. But this is just the way these words are usually used (at least in my experience), and I wouldn't take any credit off either proof.

Last edited:

1. How are grades typically assigned for mathematical proofs?

Grades for mathematical proofs are typically assigned based on the accuracy and completeness of the proof, as well as the level of understanding and logical reasoning demonstrated by the student.

2. What factors are considered when assigning a grade for a mathematical proof?

When assigning a grade for a mathematical proof, factors such as the clarity of the presentation, the use of correct terminology and notation, and the ability to solve the problem using appropriate methods are taken into account.

3. Is there a specific rubric used for grading mathematical proofs?

There is no one specific rubric used for grading mathematical proofs, as different teachers and institutions may have their own criteria for evaluating proofs. However, most rubrics will focus on the key elements of a successful proof, such as clear organization, logical reasoning, and accurate solutions.

4. How can I improve my grade for mathematical proofs?

To improve your grade for mathematical proofs, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from your teacher or peers. Pay attention to the key elements of a successful proof and strive to improve in areas where you may be weaker, such as using correct notation or providing clear explanations.

5. Can I receive a passing grade for a mathematical proof if I make minor mistakes?

The grading of mathematical proofs can vary depending on the teacher or institution, but typically minor mistakes will not result in a failing grade if the overall understanding and approach to the proof is demonstrated. However, it is important to strive for accuracy and precision in mathematical proofs as these are important skills in the field of mathematics.