1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof-U=e^A ny unitary matrix U

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    Proof: Any unitary matrix U in C(nxn) can be expressed as e^A, where A is skew-symmetric in C(nxn).
    Hint: U=Qdiag(m1...,mn)Q* and the absolute value of the eigenvalues of U is 1.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what e^A looks like for a typical matrix A?

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
    not really. I mean i could break it into A^n/n! but i dont see the point. i guess in case A is skew symmetric, it could be something like combinations of 2x2 blocks of e^a*(rotation matrix), where a is the same constant for 2 consecutive diagonal elements?

in the soln that i have available, the next line in the proof, after the '|mi|=1' was
    "Hence mi=e^(iQi) ", where mi is the index of the eigenvalue of the U matrix. i dont know how to get that. i.e. i think it refers to mi*v=e^A*v for some v. but how is e^A=e^(iqi)

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(I presume you mean the sum over all nonnegative n of that)

Well, it's what e^A means, so it might help us to understand it. Does the infinite sum simplify if A is diagonalizable?

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    A^2 = AA = UQU*UQU* = ?
    A^3 = AAA = UQU*UQU*UQU* = ?
    A^n = ?

If U is orthogonal and Q is diagonal, what does this turn out to be?

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    Thanks!
    Hurkyl, i dont know, how if a matrix is diagonalizable, it will be easier to break it into that summation. unless the matrix is something like 2x2 instead of nxn.

LeBrad, A^n=QD^nQ*
    elements of D are eigenvalues ik with k being various constants
    e^A=Qe^DQ*. U=Q1DQ1* with elements of D having abs. value 1. and i need to prove somehow e^ik multiplied by some factor will give |1|, but i wouldnt know that since i dont know the value of Q.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7
    So U = QDQ^{-1} with D diagonal and with every diagonal element of D having modulus 1 and Q unitary. Any complex number whose modulus is equal to one can be written e^{ia}, and the exponential of a diagonal matrix is just the new diagonal containing so D can be written e^A, with A a diagonal matrix with pure imaginary entries. Also, e^{QAQ^{-1}}=Qe^AQ^{-1}, and if A is diagonal with pure imaginary, then QAQ^-1 is skew adjoint.

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8
    thanks!! so e^(ia) is always equal to +-1??

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9
    only if a is a multiple of pi

11. Apr 13, 2005 #10
    Thanks!........

12. Apr 17, 2005 #11
    I use Taylor expansion of e^x where x now is a matrix,
    e^A= I + A +A^2/2!+A^3/3!+....
    taking the determinant of both sides
    det(e^A)=det(I+.....) where the right hand side will just be sum of determinants of all terms
    since for skew-symmetric matrix A transpose = -A, then on can show det(A)=0
    hence all determinants on RHS vanish, except det(I);
    proven that e^A = I
    regards,

13. Apr 17, 2005 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) The determinant is not a linear operation. det(A + B) is usually not equal to det(A) + det(B).

(2) Most skew-symmetric matrices of even dimension (e.g. 6x6) don't have determinant zero.

(3) det(A) = det(B) does not imply A = B.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?