Proving the Identity using Binomial Theorem

That's why you can replace the sum over j,k with a single sum over just one index, say k, because in that sum over k, you are only going to look at the one term where j=k.
indigojoker
I am asked to prove that [tex] \sum ^n _{k=0} (C^n_k)^2 = C^{2 n}_n[/tex]

Where [tex] C^n_k [/tex] signifies "n choose k"

I am told the hint to use the binomial theorem and to calculate the coefficient of x^n in the product [tex](1+x)^n (1+x)^n = (1+x)^{2n}[/tex]

the Binomial theorem is given by [tex] (x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0} ^n C_k^n x^{n-k} y^k [/tex]

Following the hint, we see that:

[tex](1+x)^n = \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} [/tex]

[tex](1+x)^{2n} = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k} [/tex]

I believe from here, I would like to show that:

[tex]\left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) \left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k}[/tex]

And ultimately, I believe the goal is to get [tex] \sum ^n _{k=0} (C^n_k)^2 = C^{2 n}_n[/tex] from the above relation but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also write that as:
[tex]
\left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) \left( \sum^n _{j=0} C^n _j x^{j} \right) = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k}
[/tex]
The terms that produce a x^n on the left are the ones where k=j, yes? Write it as a single sum. Now look for the x^n on the right. Two polynomials can only be equal if the coefficients of each power of x are the same.

I'm still confused as to what was written.

I believe you meant to write:
[tex]

\left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) \left( \sum^n _{j=0} C^n _j x^{n-j} \right) = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k}
[/tex]

I'm not sure what "The terms that produce a x^n" exactly means, which is why I don't understand the restriction k=j.

Are you saying:

[tex]

\sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} C^n _k x^{n-k} = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k}
[/tex]

? I am not sure I follow, could you please explain?

Using the binomial theorem,

[tex](x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0} ^n C_k^n x^{n-k} y^k[/tex]

you can write [itex](1+x)^n[/itex] in two different ways:

(1)Setting [itex]x\to x[/itex] and [itex]y\to 1[/itex] you get

[tex](1+x)^n = \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} [/tex]

(2)Setting [itex]x\to 1[/itex] and [itex]y\to x[/itex] you get

[tex](1+x)^n = \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{k}=\sum^n _{j=0} C^n _j x^{j} [/tex]

That means you can write:

[tex](1+x)^n(1+x)^n=\left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) \left( \sum^n _{j=0} C^n _j x^{j} \right)[/tex]

And so, the expression Dick gave is perfectly valid.

Since the two summations on the LHS of that expression are over different indices, you can rewrite the product as:

[tex]\left( \sum^n _{k=0} C^n _k x^{n-k} \right) \left( \sum^n _{j=0} C^n _j x^{j} \right)= \sum^n _{j,k=0} (C^n _k x^{n-k})(C^n _j x^{j})[/tex]

Ah, I see the step that was skipped. Thanks for clarification.

[tex] \sum^n _{j,k=0} (C^n _k x^{n-k})(C^n _j x^{j}) = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k} [/tex]

We want the coefficient of each power to be the same since the polynomials are the same...

However, x^{n-k} x^{j} and x^{2n-k} do not match, I'm trying to think of a way but I am not good with the various indices, is there a way to combine j and k? Since we are using one summation, why not just make j=k and have one summation?

Not every term can give an x^n. The power in the terms on the left is x^(n-k+j). That's equal to x^n only if k=j.

But how does that help match the right hand side of x^{2n-k}?

The only term in the sum on the right that is x^n is the one where k=n.

[tex]
\sum^n _{j,k=0} (C^n _k x^{n-k})(C^n _j x^{j}) = \sum^{2n} _{k=0} C^{2n} _k x^{2n-k} [/tex]

LHS: let j=k
RHS: let k=n

[tex]
\sum^n _{k=0} (C^n _k C^n _k x^{n}) = \sum^{2n} _{n=0} C^{2n} _n x^{n} [/tex]

for the polynomials to be equal, we must have the same coefficients, so can we say that:

since [tex]\sum_{n=0} ^{2n} =1[/tex] because n=0 then

[tex]
x^n \sum^n _{k=0} (C^n _k C^n _k ) = x^n C^{2n} _n [/tex]

on LHS we can bring the x^n out because it doesn't depend on k

[tex]
\sum^n _{k=0} (C^n _k C^n _k ) = C^{2n} _n [/tex]

is this a proper conclusion?

[tex]

\sum^n _{k=0} (C^n _k C^n _k x^{n}) = \sum^{2n} _{n=0} C^{2n} _n x^{n}
[/tex]

There is no summation on the right side. You want to pick out the only term that contains x^n. So,

[tex]

\sum^n _{k=0} (C^n _k C^n _k x^{n}) = C^{2n} _n x^{n}
[/tex]

There's not much need to argue after that.

Why is there no summation on the right side? Is it because n=0?

indigojoker said:
Why is there no summation on the right side? Is it because n=0?

It's because you've picked out a single term in the series; the one that is of order [itex]x^n[/itex]. That corresponds to the k=n term. You are not looking at the other 2n-1 terms where k≠n.

Likewise on the LHS; you are only looking at the terms that is of order [itex]x^n[/itex]. That corresponds to the j=k term, so in the summation over j, you look only at the term where j=k.

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that expresses the expansion of a binomial (an algebraic expression with two terms) raised to a positive integer power. It allows us to easily calculate the coefficients of the expanded polynomial.

2. How is the binomial theorem used in proofs?

The binomial theorem is frequently used in proofs to show relationships between different binomial expressions. It can also be used to simplify complicated algebraic expressions and to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.

3. What is the general form of the binomial theorem?

The general form of the binomial theorem is (a + b)^n = ∑ (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is a positive integer and (n choose k) = n! / (k! * (n-k)!).

4. Can the binomial theorem be applied to any type of binomial expression?

Yes, the binomial theorem can be applied to any type of binomial expression, as long as the exponent is a positive integer. This includes expressions with variables, constants, and combinations of the two.

5. How can the binomial theorem be proven?

The binomial theorem can be proven using mathematical induction or by using combinatorial arguments. Both methods involve breaking down the expression into smaller parts and showing that the formula holds true for those parts, and then using that information to prove the formula for the larger expression.